Chapter Seventeen: Emery

For a while, it seemed like things were perfect. My mom was happier than ever and I knew it was because of Nikki's dad. They were spending so much time together, and she made him happy as well. Then there was the fact of how happy I had been and I knew that was because of Kyler.

I never thought someone who didn't talk could make me so happy. His texts alone had me thinking he would be hilarious if he talked. Regardless, I felt like we were getting closer. We still hadn't talked about our feelings, but that was okay. We had to get there if he still felt that way. I knew I did and secretly hoped he did as well. Why I wasn't sure. At first, I was just curious.

I'd been forced into a project with him and desperately wanted out of it. Then our grades became intertwined, and it was a necessity to interact. We flip-flopped between uneasy acquaintances and friends. Until finally we were friends, proving that was possible with the opposite sex. Then my curiosity turned into a crush which, unfortunately, turned into stronger feelings. Ones that Kyler claimed to share, and that was amazing to me all in itself.

I didn't want to say I loved him because I still didn't know him well. It was tempting to go and ask Tracy more about him. Yet I got the idea even though she was an open book, she seemed guarded. Protective of Kyler's privacy and I didn't blame her for that. My curiosity was getting the better of me. I surveyed some of the new photos for our project as a knock sounded on my door.

The continuous knocking let me know quickly it was Nikki. Best friends knew each others knocking. I opened the door and nearly got knocked in the face by her hand. A grin was plastered on her face and I knew she'd come up with some activity for us to do today,

"Hi, Nikki," I said.

"Hey, come on. We're going shopping." She said, taking my hand, pulling me out the door.

"Um, okay." I laughed. "Where's Joslyn?"

"She and Melanie are meeting us at the mall."

"Cool."

It was still amazing our friend's group had gone from two to four. Five if you counted Kyler. Even if he only communicated through text. These days, it seemed like they kept coming up with impromptu things for us to do. Mom encouraged it wanting me to have a normal teenage life. In her words, I was either growing up too fact and trying to act like an adult or I was living a boring life.

Both probably.

We hopped into a car where we alternated her radio between bubble gum pop songs and heavy metal. It wasn't uncommon, but I must have felt philosophical as I compared the contrast to Kyler. He'd probably scoff or shake his head if he knew I was comparing him with genres of music. Yet it was a compare and contrast thing that seemed to describe Kyler so perfectly. He was a mystery who didn't talk and therefore made people uncomfortable. Made him seem rough around the edges.

That caused people to fear and steer clear of him. It was like he had the potential to be wild and violent. But that was because they didn't know him. There was a sweetness about him if his texts and drawings were anything to go by. This hooded masked figure somehow seemed fun and kind. This boy was his own mashup pop and rock song. What a concept that was.

Nikki was still head banging as we pulled into the mall parking lot, nearly making us miss the parking place she turned so quickly. Seeing as we were both safe, we dissolved into laughter. Kyler might not be wild, but Nikki certainly was. One of the many things I admired about her.

"Hey, guys!" I smiled as we met them by Melanie's car.

I had always heard wearing black made the heat more unbearable, but Joslyn didn't seem to mind. She leaned against Melanie's car, seeming deep in thought. Melanie miraculously did not have on pink today, yet she still looked prim and proper in a t-shirt and shorts. How in the world did that work?