Chapter 4

"It's not far now," Foxclaw assured to a complaining Cougarsoul. He had said his paws were hurting and his eyes looked dull with exhaustion. Winterfrost fell in step with Tundraleap, who had gotten a bit behind.

"Do you recognize this place?" Winterfrost asked her mother. Surely she would? Tundraleap flicked her ear and blinked slowly.

"Yes.. we're nearly to the Training Grounds, and then the camp.." Tundraleap replied. Her face held a blank expression but her eyes glittered with curiousity, fear, and something else...

"Hey, now that you mention it, you say you were part of Shadowclan once.. what made you leave?" Winterfrost questioned. She didn't want silence to grab them all. Foxclaw's ear twitched as if remembering something, and Tundraleap looked down at her paws. She didn't want to remember.

"Now isn't the time to talk about that..." Tundraleap dismissed. She really didn't want to remember. She didn't want to remember the day she had to leave. But she couldn't help it.

------------------------------------------

Tundraleap's POV

Bloomstar glared down at the she-cat, who gazed up at her with pleading eyes.

"Please.. at least take my kits, they had nothing to do with this... I'll leave if you wish it but please," Tundraleap looked down at the three bundles beside her. One of them gave a wide yawn.

"Don't take it out on them." She begged. It took all her effort not to let tears trickle down her face. Bloomstar hesitated, then sighed.

"Look, Tundraleap. We all trusted you. We've relied on you and you've never let us down. But you've gone too far. You've made little mistakes in the past, but never have you..." She took a deep breath.

"You really have left me no choice, if you're not punished for your actions what kind of leader does that make me? I will take and care for the kits you have here, but you must leave and never return here." Bloomstar decided. The rest of the clan nodded their heads uneasily, glancing from eachother to the little bundles of fur.

"Now go." Bloomstar concluded the meeting as Tundraleap sorrowfully padded out of the camp. Tundraleap stalled, taking note of her surroundings for the last time. She knew she would never come back here again. The she-cat sat down to groom her still-muddy paws and think. Bloomstar had made a fair decision, and Tundraleap didn't blame her. After all, her sister was only trying to do what was best for the clan. Tundraleap's thinking halted as she heard a snarl and a screech. Oh no! She thought and spun around.

Without thinking, she rushed as fast as she could back to the camp. The prophecy has come true... but it can't be it can't be now anytime but now... She raced through the entrance and skidded to a halt. The wolf pack! It's finally found us! And the alpha was eyeing the nursery where the kits hid and queens guarded. Phew, they're safe! But slowly she realized they were not. They were sitting where she had left them moments before, mewling in fear. Bloomstar was nowhere to be seen. Oakburst, the deputy, was circling the 2nd largest, ready to attack at any time. One of the smaller wolves had caught sight of the little kits and was slowly stalking towards them. The others had seen it too, and were getting ready to attack.

Tundraleap's heart raced as she dove towards the kits. She crowded over them and grabbed them in her teeth, then made a full-on dash through the entrance again. She heard a wolf howl and paws thump behind her in pursuit. She didn't know how she could run so long, or how she could run so fast, but she did. It felt like moons since she had a rest when she finally came upon another familiar forest. She had run here last time, being chased by the same wolves, and this is where her kits were born. It was harder to remember.

----------------------------------------

(Yes, memory inside a memory. MWUAHAHAHA)

Tundraleap's POV

She remembered she ran from the wolves who were chasing her. She knew at any time she could start her kitting. She was sure that Shadowclan would never accept her back, now that they knew the truth about her. It wouldn't be long now. Suddenly a large group of cats had charged out of the bushes and scared the wolves away. Tundraleap had kitted right then and there. She remembered the cats helping her back to Shadowclan. She remembered she couldn't have left without at least saying goodbye. Her kits needed to have a chance in the clan, too. That is where she had began.

---------------------------------------------

Tundraleap had gotten so caught up in the memory she almost missed seeing a familiar cat.

"Morningriver!" She breathed. The she-cat was a few tail-lengths away, but she hadn't noticed her yet. Tundraleap sighed, staring sadly at her friend. She knew she couldn't join Rainclan. Not when there were wolves chasing her. She had to lead them away. Tundraleap quickly set the kits down nearby in a place Morningriver was sure to find them. She gave them each a lick on the head, and pelted away. The wolves started to slow down, and Tundraleap gave a yowl to get their attention. Their ears perked up and they gave chase again. Little did she know, her kits, Winter, Frost, and Cougar would be found by Morningriver exactly a day later.

----------------------------------------------------

"Tundraleap, Tundraleap!" Winterfrost called. The she-cat shook her head wildly.

"Phew! You looked like you were sleep-walking! Look.." She pointed with her tail. Tundraleap looked up and gasped. She had been so distracted she didn't notice that they were only a few kitten-steps away from the Shadowclan entrance.

-------------------------------------------

I apologize for the confusion coming from this chapter. I hope it makes more sense to you than it did for me...