Chapter 5

Winterfrost turned to look at her mother and tilted her head.

"What's wrong?" She asked softly. The gray-white she put her tail on Tundraleap's shoulder. The former queen looked like she had seen a ghost.

"I... I can't do this!" Tundraleap exclaimed suddenly and turned to run. Winterfrost gasped as she saw her mother run away. Cougarsoul and Foxclaw looked back and their eyes widened.

"Come on, we have to go after her!" Winterfrost yelped, but Cougarsoul blocked her with a raised paw.

"Let her calm down. Didn't you see the way she was looking at the camp? She obviously doesn't want to be around it right now... but she's just discovered us, her long-lost kits. She'll be back when she's ready." He explained in a quiet, low voice. Winterfrost blinked. When did Cougarsoul get so smart? Had he always been this way? She shook her head.

"Alright... but if it's been too long I'm gonna go looking for her." Winterfrost mumbled. She may have only known about Tundraleap for a few days, but within that time, Winterfrost had learned so much about her. She figured if was only fair to allow her mother a little bit to calm down. It's not like Shadowclan would immediately accept her back as soon as she showed her face.

"Well, let's go in. We've stalled long enough." Cougarsoul pointed out. Foxclaw stood there silently, allowing the brother and sister to decide this on their own.

"Yes, I agree. Foxclaw," The she-cat now turned to the orange tom. "I hate to ask you this, after you've done so much for us already, but do you think you could go in and tell your leader we've come here? I really don't want to ruin a possible alliance by scaring them out of their pelts the first time we meet."

Foxclaw nodded in understanding. "I'll explain to Bloomstar what is happening and why you need their help." He quickly ducked into the camp. Winterfrost pricked her ears, wanting to hear the conversation but not wanting to use her powers to do it. And then, thinking of her powers made her ears lay back. She had really been neglecting them, not using them to what she could be. The she-cat really didn't want to take advantage of her powers, but at the same time in certain situations they could be very important. This wasn't one of those important times, though. So she stopped trying to listen.

Faster than she had expected, dull eyes appeared from the camp's entrance, then emerged a black and gray she-cat. Foxclaw followed after her.

"This is Shadowclan's leader, Bloomstar. She has announced your arrival and welcomes you." Foxclaw explained in a stiff tone, as if he wasn't at all pleased to say those words. Bloomstar glared at the tom.

"I may be old, but I can still speak for myself." She rasped and met Winterfrost's gaze steadily.

"Come, we can discuss in my den. It'll only get colder out here." Bloomstar briskly turned and led the way back through the camp's entrance. Foxclaw followed by her side, and Cougarsoul close behind. Winterfrost cast one last worried glance at the forest her mother had disappeared into before ducking through.

She was amazed at what she saw. This clan was much more organized than what she had expected, or even ever witnessed! The clearing was, well, clear of any dead leaves! And grass could be seen sprouting within every corner.

"It has been so many moons since our battle with the Dark Forest, I was born shortly after that. But our good old leader vowed to change Shadowclan's stiff and unfriendly image by bringing life into the camp and allowing us all to be happy and joyful, more friendly overall. We allow grass to grow so we are of the most comfort. The intention was that our new image would be kind, but firm when needed. That is what the grass represents. We use this soft grass for bedding to represent the warmth it brings, and it has helped us avoid many fox or badger attacks. They walk past and assume this is just a strange piece of land." Bloomstar gave a glance to Winterfrost.

"Although your battle will be harsh, I can assure you good things can come from it and lead on for many moons. That is why I tell you of this, when typically it wouldn't matter as much."

Winterfrost dipped her head in respect. She knew few things about the clans, but she had known of Shadowclan's strong-willed nature. It wouldn't be surprising if the cats there didn't accept her at first, but after hearing this she knew any hostility shouldn't last long. Hopefully.

"We've been told that Foxclaw gave you a basic idea of what's going on? I'm not sure how much you got, but we are in some trouble." Cougarsoul sat down. Winterfrost had hardly noticed that Bloomstar had led the three to her den.

"Yes. And I am glad to be of any help I can give. I'm not gonna hold a clan meeting for this, though." Winterfrost winced at the old leader's voice. It seemed as if every breath was a struggle. Was this cat sick? If she was, she sure did have a good way of hiding it.

"Why not? I think this matter is one to be discussed right here right now!" Cougarsoul stood up. His eyes blazed in anger. Winterfrost knew it was only because he was worried, but would Bloomstar know that? She gave him a warning glare, but Bloomstar didn't even flinch at the hostility.

"It is because I feel this should be addressed with all of the clans. I am sure there will be some cats who argue against it, but others will help. I am certain of it. There will be a gathering held in exactly two days. You can stay in this camp until then." Bloomstar flicked her tail to dismiss the cats, but stopped Foxclaw.

"I would like to speak to you about your... disappearance, in private, if that is alright." Foxclaw hesitated. Winterfrost glanced at him. What was the leader going to do? She could tell that the tom hadn't been intending to come back, whether he said it out loud or not. But how long had he been away from his clan? How long had Winterfrost and Cougarsoul been away from their clan? The tom finally nodded. "That seems fair, I guess."

Winterfrost and Cougarsoul were exhausted from their journey. Despite Bloomstar's words, it had actually became warmer. So figuring it would be best that they introduce themselves to this clan when they weren't as tired, they fell asleep in a corner of the camp, back to back, finally warm for the first time since they had left.

----------------------------------------------------------

I tried. xD

I actually had the first part of this chapter written and sitting there collecting dust so I just continued from literally the middle of a sentence (the "but within that time, Winterfrost had learned so much" part).

I know this chapter is a little "sketchy" (for lack of a better word), but I wanted to start and clear up some things I wish I hadn't written before thinking about some time ago.

Oh, and also I'm tired so hopefully I'll have gotten some sleep before writing more chapters.

Meow!

-Posts without really looking over it first thinking I'll look over it tomorrow and fix things, first allowing people to see this horrifying version-

-Probably never edits this chapter again-