Regrets?

********A month later******

"Let her in" Dr E. A. Ekeh spoke into his phone then immediately threw it on top of the couch situated at the corner of the posh office. He is a man in his late 50s. Quite handsome and neat with well groomed fingernails. His handsome face was marked with lines of worry as he heaved a heavy sigh. It's been a long shift at the hospital and it's not even over yet. Coupled with the fact that he had to worry about Toby every single day as he is not getting better at all. Dr. Ademide, his good friend that works as a consultant at Yaba mental facility kept telling him that Toby will be fine but to be honest, he is not sure about it anymore. He has made a lot of questionable decisions in his life but he is beginning to think that this is the worst of them yet. At that time, he could've sworn that it would be okay, that Tobenna will appreciate the protection. But at the end, he lost his son. If you asked him, he will reply that he did what every loving parent will do for their child, Tobenna could've gone to jail if his godfather didn't use his political influence to squash the case.

He was only hoping to see tears of joy and relief on Toby's face when he was released from the police cell, not the look of confusion and condemnation that he came out with, nor the dejected aura that surrounded him from that moment or even the the emptiness that final took a seemly permanent place in his eyes. He wishes for everything especially to go back to that fateful day. The only problem is that he is not sure if he could have made a different decision than the one that is currently haunting them all.

His wife, Madeline may like to pretend that she will be fine if Toby eventually succeeds in his quest to end himself but she won't be. No one will be. They got married before graduating from the University and giving birth to their first two kids hampered their careers because both of them had to withdraw from medical school and law school respectively to seek for other means to sustain their little family. Toby came when both of them have made a name for themselves in their respective fields, him as an ophthalmology specialist and she as a badass lawyer who is well on her way to becoming a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). Unlike Ifeoma, their first daughter, and Prosper, their first son, Tobenna grew up with everything and lived a shielded life. He was their baby to spoil and they didn't hold back. Even his big sister and brother dote on him. Dr. Ekeh was sure that if they were within the country when the accident happened, they would've supported and applauded his decisions to protect Toby. God knows that Toby won't last a day in a prison.

Reassured that there was no other choice and he did the best he had to do, Dr. Ekeh stood up pacing from corner to corner as he awaits his 7:00 pm appointment. It wasn't long before Benita knocked on the door and entered when he called out for her to do so.

She sat down in silence, regarding him, waiting for him to disclose the reason behind the sudden invitation. Although she reckon that it must have to do with the fact that she and other Toby's friends have been asking a lot of questions concerning Toby's accident. They have been to the police and to the hospital where the man was allegedly treated. She can't say that they are heading in the right direction so far but they need to start somewhere. And Toby has already noticed there efforts and was thankful for it.

Dr. Ekeh cleared his throat and said to Ben, "I am inclined to believe that you know why I called you here."

"No sir", Ben replied, "I don't believe I do." She decided to play it safe and not jump into conclusions. Although she could hazard a guess but it's better to let him say it out then, she will know what to reply. In order words, Dr. Ekeh should be ready to lead the conversation. Benita knee that she is the least favorite amongst Toby's friends where his parents are concerned. Being more masculine than feminine, she don't do cutesy stuff and she is not ashamed of her sexuality either. She is what people chose to tag 'TomBoy' and emotional stuffs don't get to her. If Dr. Ekeh wants someone to empathize with him on his family issues, honestly he made the wrong choice calling her. Heck, Iyke would've been better.