Chapter Five

"Well hello to you too, Your Highness." He fires back. I wipe my tears, sit up straight, squint my eyes at him and glare. If looks could kill...

"I am in NO mood to put up with your attitude Your Grace. Clearly there are other things to worry about right now and your sarcasm is not on my list of things to deal with. Now if you would be so kind, please, what can I help you with?" My fear and worry is replaced with irritation. Something about Xavier really gets under my skin. My inner princess begins to guide my thoughts and actions, and I push Quinn from my mind. I focus on the problem at hand: making sure I don't resemble a crying baby in front of my father's most important adversaries, and dealing with a royal pain in the ass in a classy way.

"Well, I was going to ask if you were okay, but you seem to be doing just fine now." He runs his hand through his rather disheveled hair, and scoffs turning away from me. He glances around the small room, probably looking for something else to focus on besides me. We both know that if he got up now and relocated across the room that it would make the both of us look rather unfavorable, and neither of us want that for our image. If there is one thing that the people do in this room, it is talk. Most of the gossip in the kingdom comes from the people sitting in this room. They alone keep the kingdom's papers in business with the nonsense they come up with. Once again, we must keep up a perfect image because we don't know who is watching. However, right now I don't particularly care who is watching because his comment makes me want to strangle him.

"Do you have an issue with me Your Grace?" I hiss, voice low but piercing. My reaction wasn't something he was expecting because he flinches and his eyes quickly dart back to mine, wider than normal.

"I-," he starts.

"If you do, I would prefer you to disclose that information to me sooner rather than later." I emphasize the last part to send a warning to him.

"Well Your Highness. This is something I've been informed to not share, but since I've had a rather sour attitude towards you, and you are a lot scarier than you let on, I will tell you. But I beg of you, don't let you parents know and don't let my parents know. They would have my head." I tilt my head and raise an eyebrow willing him to continue with his story. "Now I am sure you're thinking I am going to spin some ridiculous fable, or that we're secretly poor, which we're not, that's not where I am going with this." I raise both eyebrows now. "I want to tell you that I don't believe in this shit. I don't believe living here with you would make you fall in love with anyone. Not Mr. Head-Up-His-Ass, not Mr. Clingy, yeah I saw him dance with you it was weird, and sure as hell not me. In all honesty, I don't want to be here. It's not that you're not an great person, I am sure you are, but I can't be a plaything that is vying for attention with two other guys. Its dumb. I had my own plans to travel by boat and see the wonders of the world. Settle down when I felt it was right. But my parents did not know this, nor did I want to tell them. However, in hindsight, I see now that I probably should have said something because they believe I am getting to old to not have 'acquired' a female companion and are forcing this upon me. 'She's a princess, she will be good for you and us, you need to try to get out there more, blah blah blah. I'm only here until you kick me out." He huffs. I think he's had that bottled up for a while. He's miserable and acting miserable in the hopes I get rid of him quickly and he can move on with his life. Its actually quite sad... but a little bit funny. I start to giggle. Then full on laugh.

He furrows his brows and glares at me. "Why are you laughing at me?" I laugh so hard I have tears coming out my eyes and I have to cover my mouth with my hand to stifle the noise.

"I'm sorry." I say between gasps of air. I start to calm my laughing. "I don't mean to laugh at your situation, I feel for you in that subject. You think I want to do this either? Hell no. This was all my parents too. I'm laughing because you're the most normal person here. You don't talk about yourself and you don't try to steal me away from others. I'm laughing because you are actually normal." I give him a knowing smile. "I can't kick you out, though. I need to keep you here a little longer, at least until I figure out a few other things. So get comfy I guess." I turn and look away from him and to my father who is consoling my mother, she appears as though she is okay to everyone else that observes her, but I know really that she is still very shaken. Her eyes glassy. My father a little more put together but still worried about her. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone, never letting go of my mother. Someone from the outside must be calling to communicate what is going on outside the room. I notice Xavier acknowledging my parents out of the corner of my eye. He sighs.

"Just because we had this heart to heart doesn't mean I am going to be your best friend now. The less we know about each other, the easier it will be for you to kick me out without a second thought." I nod.

"I didn't expect to be friends. Perhaps acquaintances..." I trail off. He hums in response. He turns to people watch in the room and I close my eyes and lean my head back against the cool stone wall waiting for the time to pass. I don't know how long it's been. I tune into other murmurs of conversation, some gossip, most contemplating the nature of the attack.

After some time I open my eyes and glance and Xavier. He too is leaning back against the wall, eyes closed. His breathing is soft and even, meaning he has found some type of sleep in the last hour or so.

My attention is pulled from him as the sound of stone scraping against stone comes from the door.