Chapter Three

"One more pull Princess," Esmarelda calls from behind me. I grit my teeth, bracing for the blow. My body is yanked backwards, but the bed frame keeps me from falling backwards onto Esmarelda.

"Arrrrggghh, I don't understand why I have to wear this thing before every formal event. It's not like my figure isn't already an hourglass. Any more corsets and my figure will be unsightly instead of lovely." Standing up I breathe in as deeply as I can, making sure there is enough room so my lungs can take in air. Should I not be able to we would have to unlace the whole corset and start again. As much of a nuisance it is, Esmarelda and I would both rather re- lace the whole corset than risk me passing out in front of the kingdom. Esmarelda tsks, taunting my complaints with just her eyes, of course I know what she is going to say, but I choose to complain anyway. "Yes I know, corsets are a privilege to wear in society, the people of middle class don't wear corsets, so to be allowed to wear one elevates your rank and makes you look wealthier and more beautiful. Tis quite ridiculous." She gives me a side eye. I put my hands up in mock guilt and say, "Don't shoot the messenger! I'm relaying the message from my lungs." She chuckles lightly, and reaches into the closet once again and proceeds to pull out another hanger with a dress cover.

"Beauty is pain my dear. So are the sacrifices you will make for your kingdom in the near future." She unzips the bag and reveals a beautiful crimson red strapless dress. Helping me into it she zips it up and I look in the mirror. The dress has a laced bodice that travels up my chest and stops at my collarbone, wrapping around low to the middle of my back. The skirt has more emphasis than the previous dresses I have worn, and I do believe the proper term for this style of dress would be a 'Princess' dress. How ironic. I twirl once and understand exactly what the maids were talking about this morning. This is the showstopper for tonight, the entire kingdom will see me and look at their future leader. Sophistication and power drip from this dress and I feel like a Princess. No. A Queen. A knock on my door draws my attention from the dress and to Quinn, who refuses to open the door and instead continues knocking.

"Quinn, you know you can come in now." He opens the door and peeks his head around towards me. His eyes go wide as he throws open the door. He leans against the wall with his elbow and his hand on his head. Making a show of crossing one foot over the other, he stands there with a stupid smile on his face and his eyebrows wiggling. I laugh at his silly antics, he's been this way since we were kids and clearly the military hasn't broken his spirit one bit.

"Well heeel-lo Princess! How are you doing tonight?" I laugh at his comment and Esmarelda chuckles as well. Every time I dress up like this he acts in such a goofy manner one would think he was a male in the streets trying to, as they say, pick up chicks. "I am here to escort you to the ball. The belle of the ball you will be tonight my dear. I just have to approve first." He eyes me up as he walks slowly towards me, stopping to inspect my face. I laugh at him as he puts one finger on his chin and displayed a thinking position. He slowly begins to circle me inspecting every part of my dress. In his words, it must be perfection, or rather pear-fec-tea-on!

"So Sergeant Dopey, do you approve?" Standing up from inspecting the hem of my dress he looks me over one more time and proceeds to make a show to straightening my crown. "Yes I approve." He kisses my forehead and gives me his hand. "You look beautiful, if those fools from the other kingdoms don't ask you to marry them tonight, then they are indescribably blind and should be punished for treason." We both laugh this time.

"Come along Princess, I do believe a ball, and a very long night awaits you." Leaving my room we escape down the stairs towards the main hallway, only instead of walking through the grand entrance where the guests arrive, we travel down the back hallways and up another flight of stairs leading us to where my parents are standing. I hug my mother and father and Quinn shakes my father's hand and kisses my mother's. Equally telling them how lovely and regal they both look. "I must excuse myself now, please enjoy your night your highnesses. Knock 'em dead Princess!" He winks and walks back down the way we came.

"What a wonderful boy he has grown into. You are so lucky to have him beside you and care for you as he does." My mother gushes over Quinn. Since he grew up with me in the palace they see him as more of a son than a guard or my close friend. It is only now that they see the young man he has become.

"The military has given him many opportunities. He has big dreams for himself, you should be proud, Lara. You're his driving force, he wants to become a general so he can protect you and the kingdom. You are like family to him." My father beams with pride, he raised him just as much, if not more than all our tutors did. We all look to him as family.

"I am not 'like' family to him, I am family to him. He is my brother, and your son, and he couldn't make me more proud." I smile at my parents as they agree.

In front of us, the magnificent wooden door begins to open and a hush falls over the room. My parents walk out first to the terrace that overlooks the entire ballroom. Soft clapping begins as they make their descent down the marble stairs into the ballroom. I step forward and receive the same applause. The room looks magnificent since all the Lords, Ladies and Royal Families in the room are dressed in their finest jewels and gowns for tonight. I descend the stairs behind my parents and make my way onto the floor passing through the throng of people. Waving, smiling, greeting, and conversing with the guests are the best ways to create good relations with other families and nations. My parents do the same with other families and their close friends attending. Along the far wall I catch a glimpse of Quinn directing soldiers as to where to remain throughout the night. He catches my eye and smiles knowingly. His eyes tell me that tonight will be perfectly fine, that I have nothing to worry about.

The floor begins to clear as guests move to the outskirts of the ballroom to allow for the customary dance by the King and Queen. Voices become hushed whispers as they hush about how beautiful the ball is and how lovely my parents look. My mother's gown shimmers in the light as she twirls and my father looks incredibly handsome in his uniform.

Too soon the song ends and other couples move to the center of the floor to dance. Suddenly I feel a presence behind me. "Your highness, may I have this dance?" Turning around I lay eyes on the man that asked me.

It's Prince Issac.