Chapter Two

Wednesday morning begins with a bang, literally. The palace is bustling with all kinds of workmen making sure everything is going to be perfect for tonight. There is drilling, hammering, shouting and eruptions of banging coming through all parts of the palace. All the rooms are being cleaned and the ballroom is continuing to be decorated for tonight. I've caught glimpses through the doors as they have been preparing the room for days. It looks magnificent, the decorations are a soft cream color, with gold and rose gold accents. The floor is polished and glimmers in the light, the chandeliers they have chosen are absolutely stunning, with crystal teardrops reflecting the light to all corners of the room, creating a soft yet magical glow.

Esmarelda and three other maids arrive to my room around eight thirty to wake me up and make me presentable for the princes arrival. They bathe me in rose water and petals. The smell is heavenly and my skin glows when I step out of the tub. Esmarelda believes it will make me look more enchanting to my suitors. The maids curl my hair and pull it back strands behind my head and settle them close to the nape of my neck, giving my hair an elegant and regal look while keeping it out of my face at the same time. Esmarelda give me subtle makeup, enough that it enhances my eyes, but doesn't look over the top. The one thing I can't stand is cakey makeup that feels heavy on my face. I end up sweating it off making it patchy and when it is all said and done, it irritates my face. So then I need to put more makeup on to cover it. Which makes it worse. It is a viscous cycle. A maid walks out of the closet holding a hanger with a dress cover draped over it. Esmarelda beams with pride as she unzips the cover.

"I picked this one out your highness. I believe navy blue will create an eye catching statement as you welcome your suitors." She pulls out the dress and ushers me into it. Zipping up the back she hands me a pair of silver heels and leads me to my mirror. The gown is a long and flowing navy blue dress that cinches at the waist. There are two sets of straps, ones on top of my shoulders and ones draping off my shoulders. There is a slit on the side of the dress that reveals a portion of my leg, but with the extra fabric falling to the floor around the slit, it adds the perfect touch of sexy to an elegantly casual dress.

"I think the suitors will fight over you the moment they see you in this gown, your highness," one maid gushes.

"Yes I agree, but they can't fight yet, they have to wait until tonight to see the show stopper!" Another maid smiles and bounces excitedly. These girls are the most wonderful human beings on this planet, they help me so much and I've grown up with them. Without them I would not have made it passed the beginning etiquette lessons all those years ago.

"Thank you ladies, as usual you've outdone yourselves. I'm so grateful, Esmarelda the dress is beautiful, thank you." I smile gratefully and hug all of them. "You are dismissed, please go and enjoy yourselves, I want to see you at the ball tonight having fun and not working, you all deserve it!" They thank me over and over again until a knock on my door startles us. One of the guards I know well awaits outside the door. I grew up with him; Quinn Aree is like a brother to me. He stands there handsomely in his military uniform with his medals across his chest. His stupid curly hair falls in his face. "Well don't you look dapper this morning Quinn. Special occasion? Shouldn't you do something with that hair though?" I give him a cheeky smile and he laughs, running a hand through his hair.

"Morning Ciri. I'm here to escort you outside to meet your guests." He plasters a stupid smile on his face and holds out his arm. I graciously take it and we begin our descent down the stairs to the grande hall and outside into the courtyard. The marble staircase sparkles under the warm summer sun. Gliding down the stairs, three expensive cars make their way around the fountain. I walk up to my mother and father as the suitors and their families step out of the cars. The first family are quite obviously royals, as the king and queen have crowns atop their heads that are blinding in the sun. Their son looks to be a few years older than me, perhaps in his twenties and he is quite dashing. He's very handsome yet and appears to be muscular, yet he has this certain air around him. When he walks towards us he walks like he is already the king, and he seems confident. Too confident. And the way his nose turns up makes him look incredibly arrogant. He bows to my parents and walks up to me.

Taking my hand he kisses it and looks at me. "Your highness I am, Prince Nikolai Astor of Blighton. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Thank you for welcoming me into your home. It already looks so beautiful, yet somehow not as beautiful as you." He smiles brightly and kisses my hand one more time before walking over to his parents once again. He may have seemed arrogant when I first saw him, but perhaps I mistook arrogance for fearlessness. Having a partner who is as charming as he is confident would be incredibly beneficial not only for me, and my family, but for the kingdom as well. They need more than one strong leader.

My attention diverts to the second prince as he walks up and once again pays his respects to my parents. He walks up to me and bows towards me. I curtsy in return, and he takes my hands, both my hands. Looking at them he rubs his thumbs over the tops of my hands and looks back to me; never letting go. "My princess, you are beyond beautiful. I thank you for this opportunity. I am Prince Issac Greaves of Silven. I am eagerly awaiting the ball tonight so I can see you again." He leans in close to my ear and Quinn stiffens beside me. His hand resting lightly on his rifle on his hip. "Perhaps we will be able to spend more time together. Intimately." He draws his head back and looks at me once again before returning to his parents as well.

I stand there wide eyed in shock as what he just said. Words such as those could never have been spoken in a more unpleasant manner, and it is hard to believe they can from someone as regal and handsome looking as Prince Issac. Quinn leans down closer to my face, yet his eyes never leave Issac. "Are you alright? He seemed awfully close for comfort." I not and murmur that I am alright, just in denial of what he mentioned to me. We have just met and exchanged few words yet he is already proposing there should be more between us. The thought alone is revolting.

The third and final suitor walks up to my parents and shakes my father's hand and kisses my mother's hand. He walks up to me and bows. "Princess Cirilla it is an honor to meet you. I am Duke Xavier Lindsey of Silven, the same kingdom as Prince Issac. I appreciate your hospitality and look forward to the ball tonight." He turns and walks away. As all the suitors stand with their families my father begins his speech.

"Your Royal Highnesses, Dukes and Duchesses. I welcome you to the Idzoran Palace ..." Quinn leans down close to my ear again.

"He seemed happy to be here didn't he?" I stifle a laugh and smile.

"Not at all. He looked bored. Never have I ever heard a more monotone voice than his. This should be interesting." I whisper back, careful not to draw unnecessary attention.

"Good luck with that Princess. With this bunch, you might need it." I sigh, he's right. None of these men resemble Prince Charming, and as it is they have already revealed all their flaws to me the moment they spoke to me. My parents however, seem blind to the fact that they are not perfect and would need time to adjust to living in Idzora and our royal lifestyle.

"... You are to attend the ball tonight held in your honor. This will be a perfect time to accommodate yourselves with our home and our staff, as well as a perfect time to present your best selves to my daughter. You will strive to earn my daughters hand, and should there be any behavior less than appropriate, you will be asked to leave immediately. Princess Cirilla will make the final decision as to who her betrothed will be if and when she is ready. That being said, please make yourselves at home. We shall see you all tonight." My mother and father leave first and enter the doors of the palace.

Quinn holds out his arm once again and escorts me inside before one of the suitors has the chance to escort me anywhere else. I glide up the marble stairs and up to my room. Esmarelda is waiting with a tray of food which smells heavenly. Quinn turns to leave but I stop him. "Quinn would you please stand guard for a while outside my room?" I drop my voice to a small whisper.

"Now that they are in my home, I feel less safe than before."