Chapter THREE

Who was Salad Pants? Gabby turned her head like watching a tennis match trying to keep up with the retelling of events last night. Once again due to the library she had missed it. And apparently a number of inside jokes. It would be rude to interrupt since everyone but her was following along without trouble. But who was Salad Pants?!

"- so then my cousin yells it out the window-" Gabby also wasn't sure which cousin her friend Bre was referring to. They were one of those families that basically swapped children and cousins every weekend between houses. "-but they guy knew French!"

Gabby smiled weakly at the laughter all around her. "Sounds like you guys had a blast."

"Eh," Mel caught her eye and shrugged. "It would be better if you could have come."

"Oh yeah, of course." Bre nodded vigorously at this. "But do you guys remember-"

"Jealous?" A quiet voice in her ear gave her goosebumps. Daniel rested his head on the wall just above hers. His shaggy hair half covered his blue eyes but she recognized concern.

"No. Maybe. Why didn't you go?"

"On a Sunday?" He smirked. "You know how that goes."

"Yeah, but Bre's family is like, super jesus-y. I'd think your mom would want you there."

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Nah, you're all a bunch of heathens to her. Kidding, Gabby don't make that face at me." She continued to pout until he leaned in to give her a quick kiss.

"Blaaaaarg! My eyes!"

"Really, Mel?" Gabby pulled away from her boyfriend, grinning at the feigned death throws of the green haired girl. The boy sitting in front of her raised an eyebrow and reached for her lunch.

"Dead people don't need pizza, right?"

"Don't you dare Kyle!" Mel was back up and smacked his hand away.

"Ew why are your hands so greasy?"

"Shut up or I'll wipe them on your shirt."

He put his hand to his throat. "This is my favorite 'lo! You'll ruin it!"

"Good! Why do you keep wearing those polo shirts they are so lame. Only thing lamer is shortening the word-

Gabby and Bre exchanged a smirk. He'd only started wearing the horrible easter-egg colored polo shirts after Mel went on a tirade about how only suck-up wanna be preps wore that crap. He started popping the collar when she said he was an idiot. Kyle was new to the friend group and Gabby had been watching his interactions with her best friend with amusement. Another thing she needed to add to her to-do list when she was done with the Library. She needed a night with just her and Mel to catch up on everything ever.

"Since you like them so much, I think we know what to get you for your birthday, Melody." Daniel gave Kyle a grin. Before Mel could blow up at both of them Bre intervened.

"What are we doing for your birthday this year? The 19th is a Tuesday right? So we should do it the weekend before?"

"We'll have to have it after." Gabby was pleased to finally be able to join the conversation. "Someone is going on a trip to Seattle for a birthday present."

"Really?"

Mel shrugged, a half smile. "My dad agreed to meet me up there. He's going to take me on college tours so its only kinda for my birthday." Gabby grinned at her. Mel's parents were divorced and he lived on the other side of the state. They had a lot of missed connections with her trying to go there for holidays but this time everything was planned out. They had an itinerary, she'd bought her plane tickets. Mel promised to scope out the art programs for Gabby too. Mel could probably go anywhere she wanted. She had the portfolio and the grades for it but if they could, the plan was to go to college together.