Chapter TWELVE

Lucky

She squinted at the electric red letters as the 'L' flickered, buzzed on and off alternating its offering of 'Lucky Dragon' and 'ucky Dragon' greasy Chinese food. If her entire body didn't hurt she would have giggled. It struck her as particularly grotesque to be laying in the ditch off the highway only able to see that sign. Lucky. Ucky. Lucky. Ucky. Her shirt still stank of soupy noodles that had splattered when the car slammed on its breaks. Then she'd been tossed into the snow to finally get a look at the real monster who had promised to take her home, questioned her about Chris, the library- all sorts of things. Like a dumbass she'd answered. Now she had no cards to play.

The thing's eyes reflected absent light inexplicably; the sign's blinking coated the long teeth with a red film. Something told her this thing enjoyed using those unnatural teeth. It occurred to her how soft her own stomach was laying on her back.

She finally, finally understood. She was too nosy. She'd been warned repeatedly and now... now she would die for it. Gabby recalled the glowing amber eyes she'd seen in her house and looked up at the half-human face. In his eyes she'd seen fear, guilt even. This thing though...

"At least this means Chris is safe." The words, spoken under her breath as a comfort to herself made the

creature cock her head as if she heard. A clawed hand reached out-

Gabby jerked awake with a shuddering snort. Why? Why that nightmare of a memory again? She hadn't dreamt about that night in months. Her head turned to find a container of spring rolls tipped over on the industrial carpet inches from the low-slung single bed. Her sour stomach turned. The boy next to her didn't stir as she slipped out of the bed and avoided getting her toes in spilled orange sauce. She peaked out of the window covered by a flannel bedsheet and winced. It was daylight, daylight. She'd need a good story for her roommate. Gabby ran a hand over her mouth and noticed she had an audience. The guy- Mark? Matt? Had to be Mark's- roommate looked disapproving. She made direct eye-contact when she bent to pick up her purple thong and stuck it into her back pocket.

Campus was bustling as Gabby skipped out of the back of the dorm. It was beautiful, clear blue sky with slowly meandering clouds. You almost might not notice the sub-zero Montana temperature. Gabby watched the one essential college boy with only basketball shorts and a hoodie on heading away from the art building and got an idea. It wasn't unusual for the art students to spend the night in the galleries near the end of term. If Claire asked, which she knew she would, she'd claim exceptional studentdom just like them. She did need to pick up some old supplies from a locker anyway. And, some drawings for the woman from her nightmare.

She dropped her off unceremoniously at her house leaving her only with the warning to keep her mouth shut and a promise to stop by again. Since then she'd become a consistent unwanted presence.

Mariah.

That turned out to be her name. Mariah who stalked her through the rest of high school, who would show up randomly just to remind her that if she stepped a toe out of line, if she hinted to a friend, if she so much as encouraged her mom to watch one too many movies about werewolves, she was happy to tear them to pieces. Mariah who used to scare her so much that she couldn't sleep without a light on for weeks and panicked at the sight of a moving truck. Asking- demanding- her assistance or requiring her to go places without any explanation. Her most recent request was to sit in a certain café and draw everyone that came in. It made her feel creepy even though it actually was helpful for her to practice speed drawing. So for once it wasn't a strain on her life.

Not like she really had one after all the demands that came before.

The art gallery helped clear her head, and nose, as she walked past the brown-dusted pottery studio, the elegant white nooks set aside for senior projects and found her way to the freshman class area. Completely open concept she could see one of the real hard-working students curled up around his easel using his coat for a pillow waiting to add a layer to his oil-paint avocadoes. Gabby shuffled off her own jacket and went to grab a free box to remove her things.