Chapter NINE

Gabby couldn't remember a more awkward car ride. She ended up pulling over to explain what had happened in library, just for safety. He barely spoke during the story, even when she promised she had told them absolutely nothing about him. At the end he was quiet as though gathering his thoughts and finally asked: "How long after they left did you go looking for me? Are you sure they were gone?"

She felt her heart drop at the realization. Not long enough. If they were suspicious, watching her get into someone else's car when hers was right there surely would have alerted them something off was happening if they happened to be staying close by.

They brought the groceries in and silently placed them in their designated spots. Marshmallow must have recognized the tension because Gabby kept tripping over her as she whined and nudged her nose into her hand.

She'd expected him to panic, to try and run off, yell maybe. This silent treatment made her more nervous. Gabby finished putting away the frozen food they'd purchased and offered to make sandwiches for a snack before dinner when she noticed him by his duffle bag. At first she thought he might be rummaging for clothes that fit better but realized he was folding.

"What are you doing? You can't leave."

His voice was flat. "Yes. I can."

"No-" She jogged over, putting a hand over his arm. He shook her off. Hard. She stepped back, surprised. "You ate everything in my fridge. You promised to make more. I'll starve if you leave!" She joked weakly. When he didn't respond she tried another tactic. "It's probably safer here. I mean, if they haven't already showed up for you I doubt they will."

Chris stood up holding a half rolled shirt. "Have you ever considered its your safety I'm concerned with?" He had that intense stare again, just like when they'd first met. That with his words chilled her. But she refused to give in to fear tactics. "Well since you never told me why you ran away or why-" she gestured in the general direction of the library "-you are looking for all these books I don't see a reason I should be worried. If you tell me maybe I'll take you seriously."

"I thought you promised to trust me."

"And I thought you said it had to be mutual." She waited. He didn't reply but he was now staring at a pair of pants instead of rolling them. "Come on Christopher, please tell me what happened. Was it your family?"

"No." His response was immediate.

That ruled out one thing. "Then, what?"

"You know when people say 'you won't believe me if I tell you' and then the people promise they will, but they don't?"

"That won't happen. I'll believe you."

"You finished your line perfectly." He gave her a half smile and shook his head and the smile slipped. "I barely believe it."

"Then at least stay another night. Just until after my chemistry test tomorrow. If I'm worried about you being dead all day I will flunk for sure. And I'll blame you and it will be on your conscious forever."

"If I'm not here, how will I know?"

"Oh- you'll know." She gently tugged the sweater out of his hands and held onto one of them, trying to think of the right words. "Please, I'm asking as your barely tolerated not-friend acquaintance. Please don't leave me just yet."

Chris' mouth became a line and he looked down at their hands and back up. He tipped his head towards the ceiling and shut his eyes. "Ok."

"Good now let's stop packing and make something to eat I am staaarving." She was about to toss the sweater back into the bag but noticed a tag still on it. "Did you bring new clothes from home?"