Scarf - Minerva -

sorry this, yet again, took so long. I wonder when yall are gonna get tired of me saying that lol!

TRIGGER WARNING FOR THIS CHAPTER: SLIGHT HOMOPHOBIA, TOPICS OF PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL ABUSE

feels wrong to do this during pride month I'm sorry yall

anyways, requested by; wolfblood1732

Modern AU btw!! 2.5k words :^)

--------------------------------------------------------

My breath came out in frosty white puffs in front of me as I dragged myself down the pavement, my winter boots crunching the old powder-like snow beneath me with each step. My legs shivered as the thick breeze skimmed between my legs and I cursed, mainly at myself, for being stupid enough to believe that shorts with tights under would be sufficient to save me from the nipping cold.

My bright red scarf quietly blew behind me as I continued forward, at its knitted end stood two gold initials in a roughly knotted heart, mine and hers. She had given me this scarf at the beginning of the season, a small 'be with you charm' she called it. Claiming it would keep me warm when she couldn't. Minerva or Minnie as I, and only I, have come to call her was and still is the only girl I've ever loved. She was my first everything, and with any luck, she will continue to be all my future firsts.

My rickety old blue house at the end of the street had come into view after another ten minutes of trudging through the bitter cold, my cold metal house keys jangled as they unlocked the front door. A warm breeze greeted me as I stepped inside, I shut the door quickly hellbent on keeping the cold out.

I pulled off my boots with a light tug, lining them up neatly next to the door as I continued further into the quiet abode.

It wasn't unusual for me to come home to an empty house, only living with my dad meant I was usually left alone in the mornings and for a couple of hours after school while he was working.

I exhaled heavily as I pulled off my scarf and jacket, tucking them onto my bed. The colorful polaroids that lined my wall seemed to welcome me back as I looked around my room.

A certain photo stood out among them, it was larger than the others and had nothing but a singular date scribbled messily on the bottom. The photo contained Minerva and me, laughing as we held each other under a small black umbrella, while heavy rain poured down around us. To anyone else the photo would seem like a cute moment between best friends, especially considering since most of the other polaroids on my wall were of me and my friends either hugging or holding each other in some way.

But the people close to me of course knew different, all the photos I had up of Minerva and I were vague, small hugs and hand-holding being the most physical contact in them. The others, containing stolen kisses and other things are safely hidden away at the bottom of my jewelry box.

My father didn't know about my relationship, nor did I ever plan on telling him. He had seen things differently than I did, I guess you could call him overprotective in a sense. He did hurtful things when upset, so I tried my best to avoid speaking about the topic overall.

I didn't like hiding my relationship with Minerva as if it was something to be embarrassed by, I didn't want to think my father would hurt her if he found out, but he had changed a lot in the last few years. I hardly knew the person I lived with anymore, he was, unpredictable.

My ringtone began to go off wildly in my bag, I quickly pulled it out, a smile unknowingly making its way onto my face as I read the contact name.

"Minnie, hey" I sighed out, letting myself fall stomach first onto my bed.