You're the one with daddy issues

I shot up in my bunk, covered in cold sweat. My heart felt like it could pound out of my chest.
I got up and slipped down my bunk, carefully avoiding Hangman's leg that was stuck out. I grabbed my phone and ran out of the dorm barefoot. It was 0300 hours. I was the only one awake, I walked out to the hall and sat down against the wall. I checked my phone. Three new messages from Elliot. I smiled and checked them.
12:56am I can't do this anymore.
1:02am I cheated on you.
1:04am It's too hard with you being in the military, sorry.

My stomach dropped, I went to call him but it failed. He blocked my number. I started to cry, muffling my sobs with my sleeve. I rested my head on my knees as I cried, when through my legs I saw a pair of boots in front of me. I looked up.

"Rio?" It was Hangman.

"It's nothing, don't worry." I wiped my eyes.

"What. Happened." He said, angrily.

"My boyfriend, he just sent me this." I held the phone up to his face. Hangman's face twisted and he lifted my arms up.

"Come on, let's go."

He put his arm around me and led me back to our bunk. As we walked through the bunks, I saw Rooster; eyes open staring at us. He saw me crying and I turned away.

"Thanks Hang," I sniffed as he helped me up.

"Don't worry, get some sleep Rio." He touched my cheek before quickly pulling away, Rooster glared as he watched. Hangmen resettled in his bunk as Rooster sat up and mouthed at me.

"What's wrong?" He whispered across the bunks

"Rooster, shut up." I sighed, turning over.

"Rio." He hissed. "Rio, please?"

I ignored him and turned over, closing my eyes.

When I woke up Rooster's bunk was empty. I swung out of my bunk and started to put on my training uniform. We all gathered in the briefing room, seated at our desks. Rooster came in last, sunglasses on.

"Bradshaw, you're late. Take a seat." Admiral Simpson ordered. Everyone laughed quietly.
Rooster slammed his body into the only open desk, beside me.

"Listen up Lieutenants, you'll be starting a new mission. This mission is unlike anything you've ever done before. You have three weeks to complete training before you are deployed into the mission. I'll hand it over to your teacher now." Admiral Simpson stepped down, as someone walked through the isle between the desks.
Oh. My. God.
My dad walked to the front of the hanger and turned to step to the podium.
Rooster scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Hello Lieutenants, hey Lei." He looked down at me and waved.

I slid down into my seat hiding my face with my hands as Rooster laughed.

"Some of you know me, my name is Captain Pete Mitchell, callsign: Maverick. I'll be your instructor at Top Gun for the next three weeks leading up to your mission. I checked your pilots roster and I have already looked over each of your profiles."

My dad continued talking as I grew red with rage. Top Gun was MY thing. My chance. Rooster kept smirking until he looked over at me and his expression changed.

My dad continued, "Some of you I've worked with before, my daughters actually here," he smiled and pointed.

I slammed my fist on the desk and got up, I shot him a dirty look and walked away.
"Lieutenant." Simpson called, my dad waved him away.
"Rooster, go and check on her. Now." Simpson ordered.
As I stalked away I heard footsteps racing behind me.

"Rio, RIO. STOP." Rooster grabbed my arm once we were in the halls. "What is wrong!?"

"HIM." I said, my eyes starting to water. "My dad and I, don't have the best relationship." My eyes started to water.

"Oh." Rooster said. He grabbed my hand and pulled me into a nearby closet.

I broke down and fell into his arms, he stood there awkwardly and wrapped his arms around me.
"Top Gun was supposed to be for me! He always gets credits for my achievements, everyone thinks I got into everything because of him. Not my own piloting skills." I sobbed.

"I'm sorrryyyyy?" He spoke slowly.

"It's fine," I pushed myself off of him but he grabbed me, holding me inline with his chest.

"Leila, did your father ever tell you about Nick Bradshaw?" Rooster said softly.

"You mean my uncle Nick? Bradshaw? Isn't that your last name" I sniffled.

He took a deep breath. "Yeah, my dad and your dad flew together. When I was four, they were in the middle of a training exercise when they needed to eject. Your dad couldn't get out, so my dad pulled the eject for him, it smashed his head into the canopy and killed him. Your dad lived. Mine died."

"What? My uncle Nick? That's your dad? Why did I never meet you?" I looked up at him, his eyes were glassy.

"I was angry, I didn't wanna meet you, or see your dad."

"Rooster, I'm so sor—"

He pulled my face into his chest, silencing me. He just held me and I cried into him.

"I guess we both have daddy issues then," He laughed weakly.

"You're the one with daddy issues." I said, muffled.

"Come on," He pulled my face up, holding it with both hands to look at him.
I stared into his brown eyes, so full of pain, of fear, of hate. I didn't know what I was thinking. I pressed myself up on my tippy toes and kissed him.