That's an order Mitchell

authors note: i'm so sorry it's taken me so long to update guys, there was a death in my family and i haven't had time to write but i really hope you enjoy the next chapter!!
and guys don't worry rooster doesn't NOT like rio, it's a slow burn :)

Roosters POV

I stood there awkwardly as she pressed her lips against mine, unsure of how to respond to this. It's been so long since I'd kissed a girl. I completely froze, even though this was what I wanted. I think. I tried to kiss her back but my tongue felt numb, I was so shocked. I felt her freeze up, realising I wasn't kissing her back and she dropped back to her feet.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have done that."

"Uh..."

Fuck. My tongue had stopped forming words and I saw her heart shatter as I failed to tell her I didn't want her to stop. So I grabbed her arms pulling them back to my face and tried to kiss her back.

She flinched, thinking I was going to yell at her.

"No, no I'm so sorry, I cant, I'm sorry Rooster I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

She pulled away and ran out into the hallway. She was acting so strange today, she was crying this morning and now she was crying again? I never understood women. I never knew what to do or say.

So what the fuck did I just do.

Rio's POV

What the fuck did I just do? What was I thinking. I ran to the dorm, threw myself on a bunk and screamed into the pillow.
"FUUUUCCCKKKKKKK."
I kissed Rooster. I don't even LIKE him. I hated him. I think. And he looked so disgusted afterwards, I couldn't even face him. How was I supposed to complete basic training, let alone a mission, with him as my wingman. I wanted to die.
I continued to sob into the bunk, crawling into a ball and clutching my knees to my chest. Until I felt a familiar hand on my arm, I jerked around to see my dad sitting on the bunk.

"What are you doing here?" I hissed.

"I came to check on you Leila, I'm your father."

"Not here." I spat. "Here. Top Gun. Is this why you didn't want me to come?"

His brows furrowed, "Leila, it wasn't my choice. Ice asked me. And I said I would. It wasn't my first option."

"Top Gun was supposed to be my thing. The one thing I had that I didn't get from you. An achievement of my own. I've always been in your shadow." I felt my voice breaking and the familiar lump forming in my throat.

He sighed. "I'm sorry. That must have been hard."

"Have been? It still is. Even when I got here, everyone only talked about you. Not that I was the only woman in our class, or the youngest. I'm never my own. I'm just someone's daughter. Maverick's daughter. That's all I've ever heard." I couldn't stop the tears now.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I-I genuinely don't know what to say, I never knew that you struggled with this." He said.

"Yeah, you were too busy chasing action. So much that you killed someone." I turned away.

"What?" My dad's voice changed and I shivered.
Still facing away from him, I continued.

"Nick Bradshaw. My uncle Nick? You never told me what happened, you never told me he had a son."

He took a deep breath, "Goose- Nick. Nick was my best friend. It wasn't my fault, I was cleared on that. He saved me."

I stayed silent.

"So you've met Bradley."

"Rooster." I sniffed.

"Rooster. So you're friends? I'd watch your back if I were you. He's trouble. He doesn't care about you, and anything he does is to get back at me, Lei. Please listen to me."

"We're not friends." I said.

"It should stay that way. Keep away from him Leila."

I scoffed and turned around, "I'm not sixteen Dad. I'm twenty-three. I can make my own choices."

"That's an order, Lieutenant Mitchell. I'm still your commanding officer and your captain. Now get back in that hangar for mission theoretical."

His face had changed, he was angry. I'd never seen him angry. Annoyed sure, even sad. But never angry.
I quickly made my way back to the hangar, ready to face embarrassment. The embarrassment of making a scene in front of my entire class, and kissing Rooster. He'd probably already told the entire team. I wanted to die by the time I'd made it down the hall, but when I returned to my desk I was met with comfort and sympathetic faces. Rooster wasn't looking at me, but his face was red.

My dad stepped back up to the podium, brandishing the handbook.
"Now I'm sure you all now this handbook inside and out, correct?"
He was met with jeers and affirmation.

He smirked, and threw it into the trash can beside him.
Here we go.