013 | the past fades and the future shines brighter

the very reason to exist: happiness

WHEN AMETHYST RETURNED, her family knew something had changed

WHEN AMETHYST RETURNED, her family knew something had changed. A palpable transformation had taken place within her. Her once-taut shoulders were loose, and the lines etched upon her features had softened. As she moved around the guild with a newfound fluidity, unburdened by the stiffness that once plagued her, Amethyst seemed more like a version of herself long obscured, a semblance of the years when the sun shone brighter and the guild was full with rowdy members.

"She looks...lighter," Max noted critically, watching as Amethyst conversed with Macao and Wakaba about her recent mission.

Warren hummed and stroked his chin thoughtfully, "I wonder what happened?"

Only one knew. Amethyst had immediately sought out Romeo when she returned, pulling him outside to talk. In that moment, Romeo saw the shift in her expression—worry, with her jewelled eyes shining for the first time in years. There was a spark in them. Something new, something bright. He felt his breath leave him, stolen by her. When was the last time he witnessed Amethyst look like that? His eyes widened. His heart skipped one beat and then another, captivated by the sight before him.

"Amethyst, are you okay?" Romeo asked tentatively, reaching out to grip her hand.

It was warm. Romeo felt an electric charge in the air as Amethyst intertwined their fingers.

She sighed, a mixture of relief and vulnerability escaping her lips. "I need to tell you something. I don't know how to explain this, but I think— no, I know." Amethyst took in a long, deep breath. She was piecing together her resolve, building it brick by brick, stone by stone.

Romeo couldn't help but stare unabashedly, noticing how she nibbled on her bottom lip, teeth chasing away the dry skin as she thought of what words to string together. The sunlight played upon her features, casting a gentle glow that accentuated the delicate lines of her face.

He found himself drawn closer, an unspoken gravitational pull guiding him. His hands gripped hers tightly, a promise of acceptance.

Amethyst's gaze met his, and for a moment, the world outside their shared space ceased to exist.

"I have two more soulmates."

Romeo blinked. "What?"

"Sting and Rogue. From Sabertooth."

His brain stalled for a moment, and then he remembered, just barely, the names that were whispered around town. The twin dragon slayers. The strong, the inconquerable. The people Amethyst had teamed up with.

"They're my soulmates," Amethyst confessed—his soulmate. "I found out on the mission."

Romeo stared at her, stunned, as a sudden weight descended on him.