010 | to be strong is to never be weak

how do you let go of the people
that felt like home?

how do you let go of the peoplethat felt like home?

"ANOTHER JOB?" Kianna spotted the guild's strongest member at the bar, ripping open another letter from the Magic Council. She was reading its content with a blasé expression plastered onto her face, unbelievably nonchalant about the missions being sent to her one after the other. In her defence, though, Amethyst only cared about the rewards written at the bottom of the parchment papers in bold, cursive writing. Any money was good money, so she believed.

Amethyst needed to keep her guild up and running, and as their main source of income, the poor child had to work tirelessly in order to achieve that. The money she earned doing the Council's dirty work could only pay for so much. Her family (every one of them) were struggling to make ends meet. So, Amethyst worked hard to help them. And if there were days where her body screamed at her to take a break, her mind pleading for some well-earned rest, Amethyst didn't say anything.

Just one more and I'll take a break.

One more turned into two, turned into five, into seven, eight, nine— Amethyst didn't know where to draw the line. She didn't know how to stop, when to stop or even why she had to stop in the first place.

Amethyst feared that any pauses would turn her into dust. What value did a jewel have if it was anything but perfection?

"Yeah," she replied. Her expression contoured into confusion, and it caught their attention.

"Something wrong?" Laki wondered. She tilted her head to the side, her glasses perched high up on the bridge of her nose.

"It's a joint one."

"Joint?" Max furrowed his brows. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"They're asking me to work with a group from Sabertooth." The infamous guild name brought immediate disgust and distaste to the front of her guild member's faces.

"Sabertooth?" Wakaba grimaced. "Why on earth do you have to work with them?"

Jet scoffed, "They're a bunch of no-good mages."

"Yeah!" His best friend backed him up.

"I can't do anything about it. It's the Magic Council's request." Amethyst put the letter down on the wooden bar. She turned her head and scanned the area. "Where's Romeo?" Her attention was mainly directed to his father, her gaze falling upon him.

"Oh, he said he was going out," Macao informed. He sat at the end of the bar, a bunch of paperwork laid out in front of him. "Said it was an errand or something and wouldn't be back till late tonight."

"Ah," Amethyst sounded. She knew exactly where he was. Although not one for keeping secrets, Amethyst knew better than to tell the truth of her soulmate's whereabouts. She knew why he wanted to get stronger, and she also knew that his father would object in every way, shape and form. "Alright. I'll go look for him and say goodbye."