Chapter Four: A Day Like Any Other Pt 1

It was the same as any other village and the day was just like any other. The convoy tore across the countryside as it journeyed through the wreckage. A glistening layer of frost coated the burnt out shells of fallen tanks and machinery. The black oxidised metal shimmered in the daylight as it trembled with the passing vehicles.

The frosty afternoon air clouded the windows of the Mercedes. The icy cold crept across the glass of the passenger window obscuring the view outside. Richtofen retrieved a handkerchief and tried to cut through the thick layer of frost. Eventually, he made a small opening allowing him to see out once more.

The sky above was set alight with fiery orange and pink clouds. The winter sun shone amongst the clouds as spears of golden light pierced through and glimmered as they reached down to the earth. What was left of the country roads was treacherously laden with black ice and debris. Richtofen's chauffeur, a plump middle-aged man in his fifties, drove cautiously as the car slowed to a crawl. Some of the cars in the convoy would periodically skid before regaining traction which left everyone on edge.

But the poor weather conditions left Richtofen feeling exceptionally impatient as he longed to reach the next village. The ecstasy of his last tirade had long since worn off and he was keen to chase the high. But with the prolonged gentle jostling of the staff car; it began to lull Richtofen to sleep.

As he closed his eyes he fantasised about what he would do when he finally got there. He mused over the atrocities he would soon be commiting and havoc he would wreak. The thought of staring into the eyes of his victims as he watched their light being snuffed out soon began to excite him and he was once again awake.

But then, as the road snaked between the valley, Richtofen began to make out the vague shapes of houses on the rolling hills. White smoke blew from the chimneys of the quaint little houses signalling that the village still sustained life. The scarred land surrounded the towns-people in a sea of desolation. From atop their hills, they were like a beacon of refuge for displaced and weary wanderers - but also an inviting temptation for the sinister of heart.

As the convoy drew nearer Richtofen looked at the buildings; most of which still stood - albeit wounded. Somehow, they had remained more or less in one piece still providing shelter. And their occupants quickly took refuge in them upon hearing the sound of the convoy. The children playing in the nearby field froze before looking around like frightened fawns.

Hysterical mothers called out to their young as the little boys and girls emerged from the tall wheat grass and bounded towards the houses. It was the same reaction each and every time they arrived. And, in fact, it had begun to bore Richtofen. He had become desensitised to the procedure.

As usual, Richtofen's car pulled up in the centre of the village square before he exited the vehicle. He knew the rumours of his work had spread far and wide as his pale blue eyes honed in on the words "Beware the Doc" hastily painted on the face of a stone wall. Trails of bone white paint dripped from each letter before finally drying in their descent.

With a smirk, he clicked his heels and began walking. His heavy riding boots crunched on the gravel pathway as the smirk grew deeper across his mouth. With both hands clasped behind his back he meticulously inspected the village. Behind him, the Heer soldiers began setting up their stations as the rest of the convoy unloaded the crates of equipment.

The air was cool and crisp as Richtofen's breaths billowed from his nose and mouth in plumes of smoke - like an smouldering dragon. The black leather of his gloves creaked as he tightened his grip of his hands whilst stalking around the quaint buildings. The blank blackened windows shot his reflection back at him before he noticed movement to his right. As Richtofen snapped around, he happened upon the ghostly reflection of a small child in one of the windows - her eyes big like a doe's.