Ron's Big Mistake

Hermione got changed into her Halloween costume. She was wearing a red devil costume, all sparkly with some black lace here and there. She also wore her handmade black tights, and her red sparkling high heels. Her makeup made her face very pale, but her eyebrows dark and her lips very bright. She even curled her hair, and wore little devil horns in her hair. The skirt was rather short, and the corset bodice felt a little tight, but it was the best she could do. She stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom and stared at the reflection; it didn't look like her...

"Hermione? The party is starting soon! Are you ready? And I have a surprise!" Draco called out. Hermione snapped out of her fantasy world, and turned away from the mirror. She took a deep breath and walked out the door. Draco gasped quietly and stared at her.

"Wow....you look....different....and pretty. Really really pretty!" he whispered. Hermione blushed, but he couldn't tell much because of the make up she was wearing.

The night air was a little unforgiving on Hermione's long and mostly bare legs; the tights weren't very thick, and were see through as the material wasn't black enough. She didn't wear sleeves either, and her arms were getting cold. As Draco led her outside, he led her to a Thesteral. Hermione wasn't frightened or anything, but rather relaxed. She climbed onto it's back, and it walked down to the marquee. It was glowing yellow from the lights inside, and had a mystical feeling to it. Everyone was staring at Hermione and Draco when they walked in; did anyone realise they were staring at HERMIONE GRANGER? They seemed to realise when someone called out her name.

"Hermione?" came a voice from the back at a table. She swung round to see Ron and Harry, staring at her.

"Harry?" Hermione asked. The whole room went silent and started to stare at The Boy Who Lived. Hermione couldn't believe her eyes; Harry couldn't believe she was dressed like that.

"That's HERMIONE GRANGER?!" came a yell in the crowd, and everyone was staring.

"She's standing with DRACO MALFOY!" came another yell. Hermione looked at Ron, who looked a bit uneasy. There was suddenly a yell over all the gossiping in the tent. Ginny Weasley was stood up in her vampire bride costume.

"Right, the next person to say another word about our Head Girl or anybody standing here will have a bat bogey hex for free from myself. Anybody want to be first?" she asked, pulling out her wand. Nobody spoke.

"Now that is sorted, would Mr Potter, Miss Granger and Mr Weasley like to go outside the marquee?" she asked. The three of them left, and Draco sat down at a table to await Hermione's return.

Once outside, the Golden Trio sat down on the newly placed bench by the lake. It had been put there in memoriam to those who had lost their lives in the Wizarding War. There was a plaque.

"In memory of those who lost their lives fighting for Hogwarts in The Wizarding War Battle of Hogwarts, May 1st - May 2nd 1998:

Fred Weasley, Collin Creevey, (Professor) Severus Snape, Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks and Vincent Crabbe. 

May they always be with us in memory and our hearts."

The three sat down. Harry looked out at the lake.

"Why did you even come?" Hermione asked, a note of anger in her voice.

"We came to see how you were doing. Is there something wrong with that?" Ron asked, anger easily identified in his voice as well.

"Ron..." Harry said, a tone of warning in his voice.

"So...being Head Girl, what's it like?" Harry asked, trying to keep the conversation positive.

"A bit of a bore really...oh Harry..." Hermione suddenly sighed.

"What?"

"Cho Chang....a Slytherin boy attacked me and fired a Cruciatus Curse, which rebounded off the wall and hit Cho and.....she didn't make it..." Hermione had silent tears going down her face, smearing her make up. Harry looked solemn. He had once dated Cho, until she was crying every day about Cedric Diggory.

"I'm really sorry Harry. I didn't think to ask Professor Mcgonagall if you could come..."

"Hermione, it's OK." he whispered. Ron was sulking.

"How come you were standing next to Malfoy then? After his father was a death eater?" Ron suddenly asked, his voice angry. Hermione took a step back.

"Ron! Why do you always see the worst in people!" Hermione yelled back.

"He called you a mudblood! He called you a mudblood!" Ron yelled back, and tried to continue but Hermione retaliated quicker than he thought.

"I KNOW! I KNOW! I know what he called me! I know!" she shrieked. Tears were running down her face so quickly that you could see the colour of her skin underneath; her face was going red. She shrieked more at Ron, who had taken several steps back.

"DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW WHAT HE CALLED ME! I WAS THERE, HE SAID IT RIGHT TO MY FACE! BUT PEOPLE CHANGE, RON! PEOPLE CAN CHANGE! JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DOESN'T MEAN OTHER PEOPLE CAN'T!" she shrieked louder. Ron pulled out his wand and Hermione pulled out hers. Harry tried to pull Ron away from Hermione, but Ron shoved him back so he fell head over heels onto the ground. Ron lowered his wand and realised what he had done. Hermione didn't lower hers. He walked up to her.

"Hermione, I-" he started, but didn't finish, his sentence. Hermione lowered her wand hand and slapped him round the face so hard, he doubled over in pain, clutching his cheek; there was a bright red hand print belonging to Hermione - she had slapped him so hard there would be a mark for a few days. Harry tried to walk up to Hermione but she wouldn't let him.

"Don't talk to me!" she yelled, swinging her wand arm up then down in fury, sending red sparks flying. Harry fell backwards; the red sparks made a small fire, starting to burn at some fallen leaves, but not too quickly.

"Don't talk to me, and don't touch me, Harry James Potter. Ron gets what he deserves and I don't care anymore. You can leave me alone and don't even bother sending owls any more!" she yelled. Harry got up.

"Aguamenti..." he whispered, pointing his wand at the burning leaves. They were splashed with water from his wand tip. Hermione walked off, and started to cry. Neither of the boys saw her after that. Ron was crouched on the floor, clutching his cheek; Hermione had really slapped him hard in fury and rage.

Hermione didn't return to the marquee, but she didn't need to. Draco had come running with his wand out.

"I heard yelling from Weasley. Are you OK?" he asked her in a whisper. Her tears had all been silently running down her face, but now she wouldn't be seen by Ron or Harry, she broke down into noisy tears.

"Hey now, shush. Wipe your eyes and we'll go into our common room. Take my hand..." Draco whispered, and took her through the back door to their common room. Hermione went to bed without any further words, but Draco heard her sobbing for another hour...