Loss

Hermione and Draco took the floo powder network to Hogwarts, straight to the staff room. Professor McGonagall was stood by the window .

"Good evening. Please try not to get ash on the carpet." she said, not looking at Hermione and Draco. Careful not to make a mess, they set off for their common room along the corridors, teeming with students pulling trunks behind them, telling their friends about what drama there was in the Christmas holidays. Everybody wanted to know about Ginny; she was, of course, now engaged to Harry Potter. Putting it out of her mind, Hermione continued with Draco down the stairs.

It felt a little strange being back in the common room. It was too quiet, as Hermione had grown used to the talking portraits in her room at Malfoy Manor, and the wardrobe giving her beauty tips or complimenting on her new skirt. She sat down in her usual red armchair, but it felt a little strange; probably because she hadn't sat in it for a while. The fire burned merrily, but Hermione's thoughts were elsewhere. Eventually, she went to bed, and drifted off to sleep; a dreamless sleep. She tossed and turned in her bed, but not aware she was doing so, until she fell out of her bed in the middle of the night.

"Huh?" she mumbled, waking up to realise she was on the floor. She got up, and went back to bed. As soon as she was asleep, her scar on her left arm started to glow the ghostly green it did before. She still didn't notice, and the rest of the night passed in it's own time.

In the morning, there was a knock on Hermione's bedroom door. Draco opened it ever so slightly to find it was empty. The bed was neatly made, but Hermione wasn't in the common room. On the table, Draco found a note in Hermione's handwriting.

Draco

I have gone to the Hospital Wing. Early this morning, I had burning pain in my left arm, right where my scar was. Hopefully Madam Pomfrey  can help; I am praying she can. It is not definite that there will be something, but the Lord Jesus is with me, and he watches over me in loving care.

Yours always and forever,

Hermione

"The Lord Jesus"? Hermione was religious, and believed in God? Must be a muggle thing, Draco said to himself as he straightened his school tie. He didn't throw Hermione's note away, but locked it in a little box in his room before setting out to see Hermione.

Draco was not even halfway to the Hospital Wing when he was met by a very large crowd of students. Professor Mcgonagall was leading them.

"Everybody outside!" she kept on telling the students, looking worried as the teachers sorted them into house groups.

"Mr Malfoy!" Professor Mcgonagall shouted to him. "Get everybody outside, we've had a break in!"

Draco didn't need telling twice. In half an hour, everybody was in their correct house and silent whilst being marked by their head of house. The only person missing was Hermione, but Draco hadn't noticed. Nobody (apart from Draco and the teachers) were actually dressed as it was too early to get up and have breakfast just yet. Professor Mcgonagall called silence.

"Heads of Houses will lead students into the Great Hall immediately!" she announced worriedly, not making eye contact with anybody.

Once in the Great Hall, Professor Mcgonagall stood in front of the staff table, looking grave.

"We have had a break in." she said loudly to the hall. Students all around gasped.