Punishment for Slytherin

The next morning, Draco was straight into the Hospital Wing to see Hermione. She was still just lying there; still. Her left arm was still hanging limply at the same angle he left it the previous night. Draco could hear her breathing lightly. Madam Pomfrey appeared.

"There's not much to do, Mr Malfoy, but you may stay if you so wish." she said, before going back into her office. Draco just sat there, staring into space for a while, and then he suddenly remembered something.

Since they had become friends, Draco realised he had forgotten Hermione's birthday, way back in September. He had ordered a birthday present for her, which had not arrived until a week ago. Originally, he was going to give it to her on Halloween, but the arrival of Ron and Harry placed it out of his mind. From his pocket, he produced a beautiful golden locket on a long gold chain. Inside the locket was a gold bracelet, which he took out. He undid the bracelet clasp and put it around Hermione's left wrist; hanging from the chain was a little golden heart - for a second, it glowed silver, before both their names appeared. Draco smiled - it detected a soul mate. Hermione still didn't wake up.

In her hand, Draco placed the locket, and pressed her fingers into a fist lightly around it. He didn't let go, but held her hand; her fingers felt soft and kind. Her fingers then gripped against his - she was waking up!

"Hermione?" he whispered. She let out a small sigh, and turned, before attempting to sit up.

"Here, let me help you..." Draco whispered, and helped her up. Hermione's soft brown eyes looked back at him, and she smiled. She smiled beautifully, and it warmed Draco's heart to see her smile. When she was happy, he was happy. Hermione opened her fingers to find the locket.

"Happy Birthday, Hermione. Sorry it's late. I was going to give it to you on Halloween, but then WEASLEY..." he began, but Hermione hushed him.

"Even though he doesn't deserve kindness, please don't call him that. It's wonderful, Draco!" he sighed, and put it around her neck. It reminded her slightly of Salazar Slytherin's locket, turned into a horcrux, as it was the same shape.

"Open it" Draco whispered. Inside was a small picture of Hermione and Draco standing together - smiling. Hermione smiled herself. Madam Pomfrey came bustling up, but did not ask Draco to leave. She let Hermione go just before lunch.

Hermione and Draco did not go to the Great Hall; they had to go to Mcgonagall's office. The Ministry Official had a clipboard and was looking quite stern.

"There'll be a hearing for the entire Slytherin house apart from Mr Malfoy here, as they all attacked young Miss Granger. MrMalfoy, do you know who the Hufflepuff who fetched Hagrid was?" He started to write notes.

"Alexander Carrem." Hermione said. "The Hufflepuff prefect."

"Could we possible get Poppy from the Hospital Wing? I'd like to see her as soon as possible!" The Ministry Official barked at Professor Vasserti, the new Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher, who left with a swish of her robes. "In the mean time, Miss Granger and Mr Malfoy, do you know who started the fight?" the Ministry Official had his pen an inch above the paper, ready to scribble down what they said.

"I don't really know anybody in Slytherin-" hermione began, but Draco cut her off.

"It was that boy again, Tristram Stobber. I recognise people in my house at glance." Draco said, and looked at Hermione as if to say "sorry for cutting you off"

"Again? What do you mean, again?" Professor Mcgonagall asked, her voice raised a little as she stood up from her desk.

"He attacked Hermione and fired the Unforgivable Curse last time; when Cho got hit..." Draco said, but the Ministry Official interrupted him.

"My dear boy! Why did you not say last time? That young man has used the Unforgivable Curses, resulting in a minimum of 10 years in Azkaban Prison depending on the damage! I do believe I have Miss Chang's record underneath my Hogwarts paperwork. Hmmm..." He opened his briefcase, and produced a very important looking document.

"Aha! There we are! The student who is responsible for the death of Miss Chang will receive 20 years in Azkaban prison, for use of the Unforgivable Curses and murder!" The Ministry Official declared. He turned to Professor Slughorn.

"Get me the young man immediately!" he demanded. Professor Slughorn looked stern as he walked briskly out of the office. Madam Pomfrey had just entered.

"Aha, Madam Pomfrey, a pleasure as always. I trust you know why you are here?" Madam Pomfrey nodded. The Ministry Official was speaking to her in urgent whispers, whilst Hermione studied the locket she had been given, and the bracelet; both were equally as beautiful. Madam Pomfrey then left, looking rather grave. Professor Slughorn had just returned to the room, with Tristram. He took once glance at Hermione, and attacked her. She screamed, and Draco took her arm and pulled her back out of harm's way. Hermione tried to fight back, so Draco took hold of her other arm; he never realised she was this strong. "Filthy Mudblood!" Tristram screeched at her! "Filthy Blood Traitor Malfoy!"

This time, Draco let go of Hermione and tried to attack Tristram with her, but Hagrid (who had been standing behind them the entire time) put his arm out to stop them from passing, keeping them in a corner. Tristram was battling against his magical restraints Professor Mcgonagall had just performed. The Ministry Official was shocked at his choice of words.

"Miss Granger, Mr Malfoy, the hearing will take place this week, on Saturday 7th November. I wish to see you both there with your parents. Miss Granger, I assume your parents are Muggles?"

"Yes Sir."

"We will send them a letter by muggle post with instructions on how to enter the Ministry of Magic, and I shall escort them from the entrance of the Ministry to the courtrooms personally. Now, off you go." Hermione turned to leave, but Draco took her hand, pulling her back a little.

"Do you know anything about my father's hearing?" Draco asked. The Ministry Official stared at him, and the atmostphere was suddenly tense.

"Mr Malfoy, I suggest you write to the Ministry for more information." he said gravely, before Professor Mcgonagall shooed them out of her office.

As Draco and Hermione were walking down the corridor, Hermione suddenly burst into tears, burying her face in her hands and stopped walking. Draco stared at her - Hermione Granger, crying here in the middle of the corridor, when she had not let anybody see her cry on Halloween night?

"Hermione?" he whispered, walking closer to her; some passing Ravenclaws started to stare. Draco ignored them.

"Is that all I am? A mudblood?" she asked between sobs.

"No. You're beautiful and intelligent, and you will not blood status define you." he whispered back. She stopped crying and walked on with him.

"I'm not sure how Slytherin will take this." Hermione said out of the blue.

"Well, hopefully the Ministry will sort it out. You know, they deserve it. Punishment for Slytherin..."