Summer 1982 ~ part 1

~Remus's pov~

Remus is walking with his boyfriend, Sirius. The heat of the summer is building and building, and the end of July is near.

And that can only mean one thing: Harry's birthday.

Sirius clings to Remus's hand. His hair is tied back in a tight bun, his wand securing it. Remus finds it very hot. Along with his leather jacket that should not be worn at thirty degrees. Either way, Remus is wearing his customary grandpa outfit: cord trousers and his knitted jumper.

They are walking down a muggle street. A nice-looking street too. They have been here quite regularly but they have never knocked on the door of the one house they would really like to visit: 4, Privet Drive.

It is in sight and Sirius looks up at Remus and their eyes meet.

"He'll be two," Sirius says. "Two..."

"Not just yet," Remus replies. "In one week he will be."

Sirius nods and looks at the house again.

"This is a bad idea isn't it?" He says, a sly grin on his face, the bright rush of adrenaline sparkling in his eyes.

"Very," Remus chews his lip. "But when have you ever listened to that voice?"

"Never," Sirius looks at him again.

Remus smiles at him and kisses his temple.

They got together in sixth year, after a crazy long time of denying feelings and being the last ones to find out that they fancied each other. Of course, being the seventies back then, it was seen as horrific if the two boys were seen together. But after a year of keeping it quiet, Severus Snape found them making out in an empty classroom. Snape told people, people tell people tell people tell- not many people seemed to care though, they were just two queer wizards in love. Much to Snape's annoyance, it was the talk of the century.

So, to kiss Sirius's temple out in the open, well, that is perfectly fine, they can take anything that is thrown at them.

"You ready?" Remus asks.

"Always," Sirius says and starts up the drive to the front door, pulling Remus behind him.

Then they halt on the doorstep. Remus raises his fist to the door and takes a breath before knocking. He hears people talking inside, a baby crying, a cooing female voice and a gruff man's voice. A moment later, the door opens and Vernon Dursley stands on the other side, red-faced and with a blank expression. He takes one look at Sirius, one look at Remus before he slams the door in their faces.

Sirius turns to Remus.

"How pleasant," he says sarcastically, Remus agrees.

Sirius has a cheeky glint in his eye and he turns back to the door and knocks. Remus can hear the cries and overly soft mother. He also hears Vernon again.

"I don't know who they are," he is saying. "Ones tall, the others short. One has messy brown hair and the other has overly long black hair..."

"Fucking hell," Remus says and bangs on the door.

"WILL YOU LEAVE ME, MY WIFE AND MY SON ALONE?" He yells as he opens the door.

"No," Sirius says, standing as tall as he can and crossing his arms over his chest in a poor attempt to look menacing.

"Excuse me?" Vernon says, looking at him surprised as if no one has ever said that to him.

"No," Sirius repeats.

"What do you want with us?" He snaps.

"Harry Potter," Remus says.

"Don't know a Harry Potter-" Vernon says quickly and quietly, his eyes flicking around the street before slamming the door in their faces again.