i. prince steve & rapunzel

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐕𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐟 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐁𝐲𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟑

𝐈𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐝𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦, Hailey Wheeler sat criss-crossed on her bed, holding the white phone to her ear as she flipped through the latest issue of Seventeen. Although she wasn't really paying attention to what she was looking at. On the phone was Amy Montgomery. It was a Sunday night and the two girls were catching up on the gossip from the previous week. 

The biggest scoop came as a shock to Hailey. The new romance between her dear twin, Nancy Wheeler, and the most popular boy at Hawkins High, Steve Harrington. Steve Harrington was notorious for being a playboy, whereas Nancy Wheeler was a prissy, straight A student. 

"I mean, you would think that if someone like Steve were to pick between you and Nancy, it'd be you," Amy exclaimed. Amy Montgomery was in Hailey's clique, along with Chrissy Cunningham, Becky Howard and Ciara Parker. Amy was often titled as the slut of the group. She was rather blunt and tended to go through guys as if they were Kleenex. 

Hailey chuckled in disbelief at Amy's bluntness towards her sister, not helping but to laugh at the comment though. "It's not like Nancy's a loner or something. She's really pretty and all. Just shy and annoyingly uptight."

Although they were twins, Hailey and Nancy weren't very close. Sure, they got along okay, but they were polar opposites, which made it hard for them to really bond. While Nancy was Little-Miss-Perfect and would refuse to do anything frowned upon, Hailey was outgoing, risky and quite the party girl. 

"Oh, come on, like you're not jealous that Steve is into Nancy and not you," Amy scoffed.

"No way! Steve is an immature douche. With a big ego. He'd be good for my image, but not my heart. Besides, Nancy's probably just his flavor of the week," the brunette shrugged. Hailey knew that what she said was slightly hypocritical considering she was a total bitch and also had an extremely big ego. 

She was telling the truth, though. She had no interest in Steve. Sure, he was attractive and she's possibly thought of doing unspeakable things to run her hands through his hair, but that was beside the point. She knew he never kept a girl longer than a week, and a girl like Nancy? She'd be surprised if that even lasted a week. 

Surprisingly, Hailey and Steve weren't friends, but it's not that they didn't like each other either. They just didn't hang out. Other than attending the same parties. Plus he was captain of the basketball team, and she was captain of the cheer team. They danced together once at the Snowball Dance in 1980, but that was it. To others, it was a wonder how those two weren't even friends, let alone a couple. Hailey always had a tiny crush on Steve, but it was nothing more than that. Which is why she genuinely didn't care that he was with Nancy.