The Prince of Two Tribes

Darkstalker glanced over his shoulder at Clearsight. "What?" he asked sharply. 

She plastered a smile on her face, thanked the bemused guard, and tugged her friends along behind her. "They're going to kill him," hissed Clearsight in their ears. "Vigilance's guards."

"They wouldn't do that," argued Darkstalker. After thinking about it, he added, "Well, okay. They would. They definitely would. The NightWing nobles are probably furious that SkyWings killed Vigilance's brother. Okay, this prince is screwed." How can we possibly help him, though? He might already be dead.

Fathom clutched his face with his talons. "We need to find him, then! We can't let this prince get murdered. He has no control over the way he was born!"

"Excuse me, ma'am," said Darkstalker with forced politeness to a concierge sitting near the entrance. "Do you know where the visiting prince currently resides?"

"Up there," she said resentfully, pointing in the direction of the same balcony Fathom had used his first time. "If you're lookin' for his SkyWing relatives, they're just scattered all around if you look for 'em--"

"Thank you!" chorused the three dragonets, and they all ran at top speed towards the staircase that led outside. 

"Wrong way," cried Fathom as Clearsight and Darkstalker tried to turn left. He grabbed their wings and dragged them up another flight of stairs. 

"Screw the rules," hissed Darkstalker, and extended his wings. "I'm flying inside if I want to." They moved quickly up two more staircases, down five more long corridors, and a final flight of stairs. Finally, the trio arrived, panting, on the balcony. 

A young, handsome dragonet had draped himself across a set of black pillows. He turned his dark gray head towards them and dipped it respectfully. "Nice view up here," he observed languidly. Upon seeing their panicked expressions, he rose to his feet. "Is everything well?" he asked anxiously. 

"Are--you--the hybrid prince?" gasped Clearsight, clutching her side. 

"I indeed am. What brings you running up here?" He spread his wings, indicating the balcony around them. This is a hybrid. though Darkstalker with certainty. He had never imagined what a NightWing-SkyWing hybrid would look like, and the results were very beautiful. After reading his mind, Darkstalker concluded that his name was Bloodhawk. 

Bloodhawk had smooth, gray scales and sharp amber eyes. His snout was narrow and angular like a SkyWing's, but something about the way he held himself resembled the NightWings around him. His wing membranes were the most noticeable part about him. They were pale, dusty shades of red, fading to orange and yellow. 

"They're going to kill you," said Clearsight, breaking the silence. "The queen's NightWing guards are going to kill you. I'm a seer, and I saw it in my visions as clear as the three full moons: When Imperial (a/n: imperial is the largest of the three moons) is highest in the sky, the assassin will come out of the shadows and attempt to murder you. She will succeed if you don't come with us." Clearsight paused. "Oh, and also, happy birthday."

Bloodhawk snorted a small flame of laughter. "A seer, huh?" Clearsight nodded vigorously. "A seer and two animus dragons, traveling together... interesting." The prince watched their nervous faces through narrowed eyes, then finally said, "Are they actually going to kill me? Do you have a prophecy for me, Night Dragon?"

Clearsight flinched. "Uh, I don't do prophecies--just general predictions. Sorry. Your Majesty." she added quickly. "And yes, they are going to kill you."

The prince closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. "I've always suspected that both of my aunts hate me," murmured Bloodhawk. 

They stood there, in serene silence, as sounds of the party below. Darkstalker cast a sideways look at Fathom, who hadn't spoken since their arrival. He looked stony-faced and worried. Worried for a dragon we don't even know? whispered the back of Darkstalker's mind. Worried for a dragon, a dragon who might get us killed if we help him? Vigilance would not be pleased if we ruined her little plan.

Which is another reason to help Bloodhawk.

"What are we waiting for?" asked the prince, snapping open his eyes. "Let's fly! Show me where to hide."