High All The Time [Part 3]

The bartender slides a shot across the counter to me, and I down it immediately. It burns the back of my throat, and I grimace -- but give the bartender a thumbs-up signal. He slides another shot towards me, and I readily accept it...one after another after another after another.

I got up off the stool, stumbling a little in my drunken state. I found my way to a side door, and pushed it open, stepping out into the back alley behind the club and I lean my back up against the brick wall. I can hear some totally obscure indie-pop song playing inside the club.

I turned to the woman standing next to me and asked, "You got a cigarette?"

She nodded, pulling a pack from her jacket pocket. She handed me one, and lit it for me. I inhaled. Grace hated when I smoked -- not to say I did it often, she just hated it in general. I could see her shaking her head and I could hear her voice in my head now; you're going to give yourself lung cancer with that you know? That's what she would always say. Usually that would deter me, but this time, I just exhaled, and watched the smoke disperse into the cold night.

After I finished my cigarette, I began my walk home. When I finally got home, I unlocked my door clumsily, and practically fell inside. I finally stumbled my way to the couch, and blacked out.

-----

I woke up the next morning, not at all feeling refreshed or awake. I got my phone, and checked my missed calls. Nothing from Grace. I sighed in frustration. Four days and nothing. No asking if I was okay, no apology, no...nothing. I threw my phone down next to me again.

I heard a knock on the door, and went to answer it. Tyler was standing on my doorstep. "Shit," I muttered, opening the door.

"Mamrie...?" I looked down at my feet, and then behind me at my house-- dark, littered with empty bottles and beer cans, and a carton of cigarettes. "What's going on?"

"Nothing's going on," I said, nudging beer cans away from the doorway with my foot.

"This doesn't look like nothing."

"It's nothing, okay? I'm fine. I just need to clean up a little."

Tyler shrugged, and then held a piece of paper out to me, "This is from Grace, she asked me to give it to you, she didn't want to do it herself."

I closed the door after saying goodbye to Tyler. I slowly sat down, leaning against the door, and began to read.

Mamrie,

I am going to send someone by to pick up my stuff soon. Hope that's okay. When they come, they'll bring you your stuff from my house.

-Grace

I sighed. That's all? Damn it all, I needed a cigarette. I grabbed the pack from the table, and pulled one out of the packaging. I lit it, and inhaled-- enjoying the sensation. Exhaling, I watched the smoke waft around the room. It swirled, and then dispersed, then vanished-- leaving only the smell of smoke behind. I closed my eyes.

"Fuck," I breathed, "Fuck this whole thing." I don't know why I couldn't get over her...but I couldn't. I lit a second cigarette. She just left so abruptly, in the middle of life. No warning, no signs that this relationship was crumbling down. Nothing. After finishing my cigarette, I went and lay down on the couch. "I bet she's fine." I placed my hands over my face, and felt the tears on my cheeks. "I just need to keep her off my mind."