Chapter 8

I need to get out of here. It feels like everything is closing in on me. I am a wild animal trapped in a cage.

I frantically try to navigate my way back to the bar. If I can just get to Hunter. He'll help me get out of here. He's always been there for me when I needed him most.

The next thing I know, I slam into a guy infront of me's back.

Why do I always run into people when I'm trying to flee?

"I'm so sorry," I croak out as I try to get around the man.

"Hey, hey. Calm down. Are you okay, Katherine?" I hear the man's voice from behind me.

Thank God! A flood of relieve washes over me at the sound of Hunter's sweet voice. I whip around towards him while trying to hold in a sob.

"Can we leave?" I am on the verge of tears now.

"Wait, what happened? Did someone do something? Did someone hurt you? I only left you alone for 10 minutes."

I can see the concern etched on his face. His mind has clearly gone to a dark place. He must probably be imagining worst case scenarios.

"No, no-one hurt me... well technically speak, yes. Someone did hurt me, but..." Hunter cuts me off.

"Who hurt you? I'll get the guys and we'll sort him out!" Anger radiates off him. I've never seen him this angry.

Is it wrong of me to feel sort of good at how furious the idea of someone hurting me makes him?

"No, no-one here hurt me... it's all my fault. I thought that I was okay enough to go out and forget about him, but... I'm starting to think that I'm not that okay."

I feel so lost and confused. I thought I would be alright, but it's becoming crystal clear that I'm not even close to alright. Today I put on a brave face when I was with the guys, but that was all it was - a brave face.

One thought too many about Trevor and I'm a broken woman once again. It's like his presence follows me around everywhere I go. I can't escape him. I can't escape the memories we share.

"Let's get you out of here." I am sure that Hunter can see the sorrow and confusion in my eyes.

I am eternally grateful to him when he takes me by the shoulders and starts leading me out of the club and towards his car. Tonight he truly is my knight in shining armour.

***

"I texted Elliott and Harry that they will have to find their own way home," Hunter says as he puts his carkeys on the kitchen counter.

"Thank you and I'm sorry that I ruined your night." I sniffle out. It's a wonder that I haven't started full-on crying yet.

"You didn't ruin anything." His voice almost holds enough conviction to make me believe him.

"So let's get rid of the pink elephant in the room. Do you want to talk about what just happened?" There is the Hunter I know - logical and straight to the point.

"No, not really... but maybe I'll feel a bit better after a nice cup of warm tea," I'll do anything to postpone the inevitable conversation that we are going to have tonight.

"Coming right up," he lets out a small chuckle before he turns around and puts on the kettle.

Silence fills the room as he gets the cups out of the cupboard.

"You know you have always done that."

"What?" I ask curiously.

"Tried to gain more time by asking for something to drink or eat. I found it to be the cutest thing ever when you pulled it on your mom. If you did something bad and your mom found out, you knew you had a spanking awaiting you. So you'd always tell your mom you were thirsty to try to gain more time for youself."

I didn't even realise that I did that. But now that I think about it, it really is something I do.

A few minutes later we are sitting on the leather couches in the livingroom, teacups inhand.

"So, is this about that Trevor guy that you were with in the coffeeshop?" Hunter puts his cup on the coffee table and moves a little bit closer to me.

"Yeah," I break down in sobs.

"Come here." Hunter takes my cup out of my hand and places it next to his. He wraps his arms around in the most comforting way possible.

"I'm so sorry for burdening you with all of this, Hunter." I burry my face into his chest.

"You could never burden me, not even if you tried. And Trevor is a idiot for hurting you and failing to see how amazing you are." He pulls me into his lap and just lets me cry my heart out.

I feel so cruel. This man is too good for me. He doesn't deserve a girl who will never be 100% in with him.

Because I might not be sober, but one thing has become as clear as day tonight - Trevor has ruined me for any other man.

I will forever more compare every guy I lay my eyes upon to him. He'll always occupy a piece of my mind, heart and soul.

And I'll hate him forever for ruining me and making me love him so deeply.

"Are you feeling any better?" He asks after a while. I have stopped crying, but I still just want to be in his comforting embrace.

"A little bit," I give him a small smile, " can I stay for the night?"

"There will always be a place for you with me," he whispers softly.

I look into his dark brown eyes. Why can't I feel for Hunter what I feel for Trevor? Am I just not trying hard enough?

Before I can catch myself, my lips crash down on his.

At first he is shocked, not kissing me back, but soon regains his composure and starts kissing me back.

I part my lips for him and he slips his tongue into my mouth. I kiss him with all the passion in me that I can muster.

After a few more minutes, he pulls away. He is panting slightly. I too am a little bit breathless.

"That was incredible," he says softly as his hand gently caresses my face.

I remain quiet.

"Do you want something a little more comfortable to sleep in?" His hand slowly moves over my back in soothing circles.

I just give him a small nod.

I follow him to his bedroom where he gives me a pair of his grey sweatpants and a red t-shirt to sleep in. He shows me to the bedroom across the hall from his, that will be mine for the night.

He leaves me alone to quickly get dressed. I am relieved and happy to be out of that tight dress I was wearing all night and his clothes are comfortable, I guess.

It just feels strange and unnatural to be in some other guy's clothes. The only man's clothes I have ever worn was Trevor's.

"Are you settled in?" Hunter asks as he pops his head through the door after knocking.

I give him another small nod.

"Okay, well good night, Kath." Hunter reaches for the light switch to turn the light off.

"Actually, can you do me a favour?" I speak for the first time after the kiss we shared in the livingroom.

"Anything," he says with a smile.

"Can you stay, Hunter?... with me?... until I fall asleep?"

A/N

Hey guys! Here is another chapter, as promised. Do you guys think Katherine will choose Hunter or is Katherine and Trevor endgame? Leave your opinion in the comments.

~Izzy♥