New in Town

I admittedly didn't do a lot of proof reading on this because it was just a random idea i wanted to throw out there so hopefully it's okay.

Just some basic background info for this AU would be...you work in a cafe...Everyone is a human, modern day. all that good stuff. All the characters mentioned have been posted about on twitter before so hopefully you can see references there if you're unsure about anyone. But most are familiar faces.

------------------------

"Get outta here already!" Ren kicked his foot at you and you glared up at him from your spot on the floor. You wanted to do anything but work right now so you'd slipped into the back for a breather. Ren was washing dishes and had become your unwilling companion.

"Come on, you know you love my company." You stood up, jabbing him with your elbow. Ren scoffed, flicking some bubbles at you. You laughed, brushing them away.

"Oh yeah, it's such a thrill. I swear to god if I have to listen to you talk about your ex anymore I'm gonna drown myself in this sink." He scrubbed the dish in his hand vigorously. You knew Ren wasn't a complete asshole but he really took every opportunity to make you doubt that.

"I don't talk about him...that much." You mumbled, crossing your arms. It'd been months already since you'd broken up but you couldn't help ranting about him every now and then. You frowned, leaning against the wall and staring at your feet. Ren sighed, turning off the water and facing you.

"Listen, I just wish you'd forget about that prick. Not worth your time. That's all I'm saying. " You glanced up at him and gave him a half smile.

"I know. It's just hard sometimes." You played with some bubbles on the side of the sink, rubbing the slick substance on your finger.

"Y/N!" A sweet but slightly panicked voice called out to you from the front and you groaned.

"Sounds like Evi needs you." Ren turned the water back on, getting back to work. "Better hurry before she has a mental breakdown or something."

"Yup. Hey, thanks Ren...for just being a good friend, ya know." You gave him a warm smile and his ears flushed slightly.

"Yeah yeah, shut up." He splashed some water off his fingers at you and you laughed, pushing off the wall and walking back to the front of the cafe.

When you pushed the kitchen door open and saw the state of the place your eyes widened. Evi was frantically trying to help customers but the line was backed up all the way to the door. You rushed over to the register next to hers, ushering over the next customer in line.

"Why didn't you call me sooner?" You leaned over, whispering to your coworker.

"I didn't want to bother you! I know you're stressed, I wanted you to have a minute to relax." She finished taking the order, turning around to prepare the drink. Her hands were shaking and she nearly dropped the cup multiple times. Evi would never be upset with you for slipping away every now and then but you couldn't help but feel guilty.

The two of you focused on the customers, getting the orders taken and out to them as fast as you could. Thankfully most of the orders were simple enough and before you knew it, the cafe was empty again. Evi sighed, slumping against the counter. You walked over to her and threw your arms around her, squeezing her tightly.

"W-what's that for?" She squeezed you back.

"Thank you for covering for me." You let go and she flushed, straightening her tie.

"Of course, you're my friend." She gave you a sweet smile.

"But next time you better call me the second you feel overwhelmed!" You pointed your finger at her and her expression turned apologetic.