Chapter 11

"Where have you been?"

Damnit, I thought I'd been discreet. I gave Chris my best smile. "Told you, I was with Laura and Beth."

He eyed me carefully. "Nick said Laura was with him all night."

Ugh, then they say women gossip. "Yeah, uh ... she went home, Beth and I stayed longer." Man, I hate lying to him like this.

"Until now?"

"Yeah."

"It's 3 am." He pointed out.

"Yeah, why are you still awake?"

The look he gave me made my heart clench. "I was waiting for you."

"There was no need, I-"

Chris came closer to me, enough to pretty much sniff me, which he did, and I highly hoped he wouldn't immediately smell male perfume on me. It's not like Sebastian and I kissed or anything, he always kept a gentleman-like distance, but still. Chris made a weird face, then stepped back. "Beth needs to stop making you drink." He rolled his eyes. "I can smell alcohol on you."

I almost sighed out of relief. "I'm an adult, you know," I scoffed, "Beth doesn't make me drink, I drink because I want to."

"You get drunk only when you're with her."

"That's not true." I guess he doesn't have a clue as to what we do during our girl nights.

Chris sighed. "Let's go to sleep."

Because I didn't want to test my luck, I just nodded, without replying, and he followed me to my apartment. I felt a bit lightheaded because of all the wine, but I could manage not to trip in my own feet. Once inside, I took off my coat, and only too late I remembered what kind of dress I was wearing.

Chris gulped, in fact. "I thought you didn't come home to get changed."

"I didn't."

"You went to work in that?"

Damnit. Think about something, think about something. "Uh ... I had the dress at the office." That was a really stupid lie.

"Why would you have such a dress at the office?"

"Oh, you know, for any occasion." I replied evasively. "I thought I'd need to be prepared."

Chris didn't buy it, clearly. The fact that he didn't say anything for a long time was proof. I tried to act casual, going to my room to get changed, but he didn't follow me, not even once I was done. I went back to the living room while applying my night cream on my hands. "I thought you were sleepy." I mused, hoping there was something else on his mind, other than my blatant lies.

"Why are you lying to me?" Case in point.

"About what?" Come on, Vivian, it's over, just admit the truth.

Chris walked over to me, who was standing by my bedroom's door. "You didn't spend the night with Beth." He stated, pretty much caging me against the wall, yet without touching me.

"What makes you say that?" I wondered, still trying to salvage whatever was left of my secret.

"Come on, Viv, I know you. I can tell when you're lying."

You can't, Boo, you can't. otherwise, you'd have realized how I feel about you a long time ago. You'd have known I was lying through my teeth when I said I didn't mind you dating my roommate. You'd have known the sight of you with another girl was always insufferable for me.

I didn't say any of that, obviously. What I did was brace myself, literally and figuratively, because I knew what was coming. "So, what's his name?" Chris inquired, predictably. I didn't reply. "You know I'll find out regardless."