studying/doing homework

jack:

"This is boring, y/n," Jack groaned.

"Hate to break it to you, but this literally isn't about you. It's about my grades."

"And?"

I sighed. "Jack, I need to get a good grade on this test. Otherwise I'll get grounded or something and not be able to see you."

That got his attention. "Fine. I'll try to help. Give me your notes."

I handed them to him and he squinted.

"Your handwriting is awful. I can barely read this," noted Jack.

I rolled my eyes.

"Who was the secretary of state when Washington was president?"

"Was it Thomas Jefferson?" I tried.

He nodded. "Nice one!"

From then on, Jack was pretty helpful when studying because he didn't want you to get grounded.

davey:

"Why do you even need to study?" Davey asked. "I'm genuinely curious. You know all of this. You're really smart."

"I just want to make extra-sure I remember it. I can't risk forgetting in the middle of a test," I explained.

"Makes sense. I usually didn't study that much when I was in school. The only thing I did study was English class. That was my toughest one."
I smiled. "That's one of my best classes. I just don't like math. I mean, I'm good at it, but I never enjoy it, so I don't put forth as much effort into remembering things like that when I should."

"So we should get back to studying. Do you remember the circumference formula?"

I was about to answer, but I faltered. "I thought I did. It's in there somewhere," I said, tapping my head.

He laughed a bit. "It's 2 pi r, y/n."

"Oh! It is, isn't it? Thanks, Davey."

Studying with Davey was a smart thing to do, because he always kept me on track if I'd get distracted.

spot:

"Are you done yet?"

"Spot, this is the fourth time you've asked. And no, I'm not. I need to finish reading these next few pages for homework."

He whined. "I just wanted to be with you! Your stupid book is ruining everything!"

"Dramatic much?" I winced as he threw himself across a chair.

"No. Why do you ask?"

"No reason."

I continued reading the next few lines of the book. I noticed Spot trying to read over my shoulder, brows furrowed. I looked at him quizzically, and he looked back at me and rolled his eyes.

"Finally. You at least looked at me."

"Sorry, pretty boy. You're not- mmph!"

That was the sound of him kissing me so that way I couldn't finish what I was saying. Rude. He finally pulled away.

"Was that neces-"
He did it again, and we kissed for maybe thirty seconds.

"Ok. You can go back to reading now," he said.

I glared at him and went back to my book.

Needless to say, I avoided doing homework with Spot. He'd always try to distract me. Mostly by kissing me, which worked, but was terribly inconvenient.

skittery:

Skittery pointed to the word 'agitated'.

"What does that word mean?"

"Agitated. It means annoyed. Or irritated. Maybe bothered by something," I explained.

Whenever I did homework or studied, he would always ask questions. Even though he did enjoy learning, he did get a bit restless sometimes and do random things just to get attention for a few moments.

"Oh! I get that feeling!"

"Do you?"
"Yeah. Like when I get rushed getting ready in the morning. Or when I get ignored. And when you do homework for too long," Skittery said.

I nodded. "I feel the same way. I don't like doing homework just as much as you don't like it when I do it."

"Sometimes it makes me glad I don't do school."

"Fair enough."

I wrote down a few more words on the paper I was writing. Skittery snatched up the pen I was using and held it up before I could get it back.

I stood up and held out my hand. "Give it back, little man!"

He looked down and laughed. "I don't think so."

"Come on, Skittery."

He still shook his head. Then, it hit me: the best plan ever. I stood up on my tiptoes. He expected me to reach for the pen, but instead I gave him a quick kiss. He was caught off-guard, like I'd hoped. His hand was to the point where I could reach the pen, so I took it and smiled.

"Thank you!"

Skittery crossed his arms. "Not fair."

bumlets:

I was huddled over my work, running my hands through my hair and mumbling to myself. I was deep in focus trying to solve the math equation in front of me.

"... so, I basically need to divide each side by three to separate-"

"Y/n? Angel? Is everything alright?" Bumlets' worried voice carried from the door.

I turned my head back to see him.

"Yeah. Just trying to do this math."

He nodded. "Can I get you anything? Water? A snack?"

"No, I'm good." I waved him away.

"You sure? I'll be here if you need anything."

"Thanks, Bumlets."

I got back to doing my work. Eventually, there was a problem that I got stuck on. I resorted to setting my head down on my desk and groaning into my arms.

"You've been doing that for a while. Want to take a break?" he offered.

I slowly sat up. "Yeah."

I walked over to my bed where he was sitting and wrapped my arms around him. He kissed my forehead.

"I think I'm going to get some water now," I said.

He stood up, sitting me back down. "I'll get it for you. Wait here."