X

the sound of birds chirping filled his ears, rays of sunlight fell on his eyes, groaning, he grabbed the blanket and covered his face and the sound became less and less. it was no longer than five minutes his alarm rang.

"sleeping on the couch will only do you more harm, you know that, right?" he ignored samir who happened to be awake at the same time as amir, with a mug in his hand and a sandwich in the other. amir walked past him, not answering cause he wasn't in the mood to fight and wake their mother up. he tried to enter the bathroom but it was occupied by his little sister who opened the door with an angry face.

"we're going to be late-"

"yeah, yeah, give a ten and i'll be ready." he pushed her out.

"did you even prepare your bag? or lunch?"

"gave me a ten," he emphasized before slamming the door, and he was right, it only took him ten minutes to pack whatever books he had and grabbed a snack bar the saved from the day before. he was sure that his mother backed his sibling lunch but decided to ignore it, it wasn't the first time he had to spend a day without food, taking a quick sip from his tea, he put his shoes on and hit the road.

the school day was a usual day, except for the fact that his body ached, unable to participate in any activity- not that he usually would-he rested his head on the table, he felt a light tap on his shoulder, when he raised his head, it was his friend ahmed, he gave amir a gentle smile before sitting next to him. "look who decided to show up." ahmed grinned 

"i'm regretting it so much right now," he mumbled under his breath. two others joined them.

"can't believe my eyes, amir seaad, are my eyes deceiving me right now?" saif teased as he took a seat in front of them, turning his chair to face them. "i knew today was a special day. what's the occasion?"

"good to you too, saif." 

"stop bothering him,"ahmed brushed saif off.

saif let out a breath, "gosh, i'm jealous of you amir, ahmed always seems to be on your side." they went on the conversation, as much as amir tried to catch up he would always fall back, confused most of the time. every time ahmed would explain things.

it wasn't something amir admitted out loud, but ahmed was his favorite friend among all of his friends, the calm aura around him, the charming presence, the soft spoken words, peace and quiet, that was how amir felt about ahmed. kind and considerate weren't enough to describe him, ahmed made amir feel safe at times where he was frightened, ahmed brought comfort wherever he was. amir was astonished by how amazing ahmed was, how smart he was, how thoughtful he seemed, how talented he was. for amir he was the definition of home and warmth.

someone called amir, he was from another class but a good friend of his, a close one even, amir excused himself and went to talk to the boy, they walked down to the place where the school usually grew plants, handing amir the supplies, he took them slowly examining them. amir had no idea what to do so he watched his friend carefully, it was the first time he saw him take care of plants, he never took that guy for a plants guy- more of a dog type of person, definitely not plants, after finishing and washing up, they went to the library. "so, what's wrong? what happened between you and omar?"

amir pulled out his phone to show him, as the boy read thoroughly, "i don't really get why would he say that, we haven't talked in a while and i certainly didn't talk about any serious topics with him in months, it wasn't even intentional, and the way he talked, it felt like he already picked sides or something," amir paused to form the sentences in his head but the boy took it as amir had finished talking as he started.

"you know you're wrong, right?" amir raised his eyebrows, taken back, " i can't blame him if he doesn't want to talk, you're a grown up enough to know that people have energies, and someone has to have enough power to listen to your problems but for your relationship to be built on only talking about problems is not a good thing- i can't blame him. and good thing he  came and told you that in a good way that should be respected, so don't take it too personal just take it as some sort warning." amir stared at him in disbelief, he tried to hold his breath, panic ran through his body and the guy wasn't even finished, "also i have so much respect for him that he told you that he would't cut ties with your ex. he put boundaries and it's his right so don't get mad. piece of advice, read it again and give it a thought, he wasn't wrong, so don't get too worked up."