chapter 2

"Hangman," Bradley starts "you look

"Hangman," Bradley starts "you look... good"

"Well, Rooster I am good," Hangman smirks "Very good"

At this point Bradley had come over to stand next to me, leaning up against the bar. We talked for a little bit, low enough for no one to hear over the ruckus in the bar, mostly about how much of a dickhead Hangman was. That is until something Jake was saying caught Rooster's ear and I knew then and there I might have to intervene. 

"I wanna know who'll be team leader, which one of you has what it takes to follow me?" I hear a couple all-knowing groans, Bagman was trying to start something.

"The only place you'll lead people is an early grave" Rooster quickly shoots back. 

Trying to back him up, a few of us stick in a quick "Hell yeah," but that just made Jake more pleased with our annoyance.

Hangman steps up, right in Rooster's face "Anyone who follows you will run out of fuel, that's just you man. Sitting on your little perch, waiting for your moment, but it never comes."

"Yeah right, save it for your apology speech for the family when you get your wingman killed because of that fat ego," I shot back. No one talked down to my family, no one. 

Knowing he couldn't say much to that, Hangman glared at me for a quick second before walking off for another beer. 

"Thank you," Bradley said turning to hug me once Jake was out of sight.

"Anytime," I respond hugging him back. We sit in the hug for a minute, feeling as if its just me and him in the room. For some reason I just felt like I shouldn't let go. Soon after, Phoenix walks up to Rooster tapping his shoulder. 

"Can I cut in?" she jokes. Embarrassed, I let go of Rooster's waist, feeling the heat rush to my face. 

"Hey, Nat" I say while quickly hugging her. "How's it in Virginia Beach?" 

"Perfect," she said letting go "How are you and Rooster doing? Must be a dream living in Hawaii for three years."

"Pretty good. If they don't hurry up and station us somewhere else though Bradshaw here is gonna buy the islands out of Hawaiian shirts."

"Hey!" Rooster remarks, making Natasha and I laugh.

To other people we would look like a younger married couple but I guess that's what you get whenever you're in your early thirties and your best friend is a guy you've known since you were two. Bradley was four when Goose died, so I was there through all the emotions months and even years after that. 

After this encounter, Hangman returns with his Corona, causing Phoenix to change the subject to something more professional. 

"Everyone here is the best there is, who the hell are they gonna get to teach us?" She asks with an inquisitive smirk.