chapter 7

I wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee and bacon

I wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee and bacon. I open my eyes to find myself lying on the couch with a blanket wrapped around me. I feel the heat of the morning sun pouring into the window, and pull my blanket up to cover my wide smile. Bradley did all this, and in the moment I couldn't help but smile, feeling so loved. After lying there for a few minutes I decide to get up. I whip off the blanket and stand up next to the couch. Bradley is in the kitchen, shirtless and cooking bacon. 

"Good morning, bubba," I say walking over to the carafe and pouring a cup of coffee. 

"Morning sunshine," he replies walking over to my side of the counter hugging me around the shoulders and kissing the top of my head. I sigh when he does this causing him to chuckle and go back to watching the bacon. I felt so comfortable like this was what I had always wanted, and I didn't even notice my best friend would be the one to make my life so perfect. 

"Actually," Rooster says with a smile playing at the corners of his mouth "I wanted to ask you a question." 

"Uh huh," is my only response, this is the moment I've waited for for over a week now. Several weeks ago he tried to ask me on a date but couldn't muster it up, but knowing Bradley as well as I do I knew it was on his mind. I guess we got called back to Top Gun so hd pushed it off.

"Do you maybe wanna go on a date tonight?" he asks quickly and slightly quieter, the tension could've been cut with a knife. Suddenly, I break out into a grin, realized what he had just asked. I walk up to him grabbing his hand and placing a kiss on his cheek. 

"Of course I would," I answer. He immediately pulls me into a hug by the waist, smiling into my neck.

"You have no idea how nervous I was to ask that," he says causing me to laugh "just promise me one thing though..."

"I can do that." 

No matter what happens..." 

"And nothing will happen because we're Bradley and Taylor and we're perfect for each other." I say making his smile larger than ever.

"Just in case, promise me we will always be best friends." 

"That's a promise I can definitely keep." I say, releasing from the hug. 

"Oh shit, the bacon!" Rooster says pulling it out of the pan half burned. "Damn it." 

"It's okay I have more in the fridge." I say turning around to hand him some more. The rest of the morning goes by as normal, but Bradley leaves after 1:00 because I invited Phoenix over to hang out for a few hours. 

"Meet me at my door at six, don't wear anything too fancy I like you just the way you are," Bradley says as he leaves.

"Bye," I say kissing his cheek again in the way out the door.

Natasha comes over about fifteen minutes later, about to scream her head off. No wait, she did. I thought my ear drums were going to burst. Then I rolled my eyes, deciding to join her. I squealed with her grabbing her hands as we jumped up and down, more excited than little girls with a new puppy. 

"Okay," Nat said after we finished squealing "tell me everything!!" 

I dragged her over to the couch and told her just what she asked for, everything. From my first date in Hawaii all the way to when Bradley had just left, and she sat there silent for the hour it took to tell the whole story. When I finished she was in a state of shock.

"Hello? Can you speak?" I ask jokingly.

"All I can say is I love you, but you are so stupid." 

"What!"

"Girl let's face it, Bradley's liked you since the original Top Gun days he told me himself once he knew you had been telling me about you two. You were just too blind to see that the perfect guy for you was in fact here the whole time." 

"I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I haven't liked Rooster like this up until this past couple of weeks."

"Correction, you THINK you haven't."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean it's subconscious, you've liked Bradley this whole time."

"Nat, you sound like a psychopath!! No I haven't!" I yell, exasperated. 

"Have you looked at a picture of Henry lately? Here I'll pull up pictures of your past dates." she says. Sure enough, every single one of my past dates, including Henry, looked like they could be Bradley's stunt doubles.

"Wow," I whispered, astonished at my realization. My best friend and I had liked each other for years. We were just too stupid to see it.