chapter 4

The next morning I wake up with my head in a fog

The next morning I wake up with my head in a fog. I climbed out of bed and made it neat and uniform just as the academy had taught us. It was a habit they had drilled into us from the beginning, telling us that if our bed was sloppy our flying would be too. I had gotten dressed into my white tank top and skinny jeans and started slicking my hair back into a tight bun before realizing the events of the night before. The moments ran through my head like a movie playing back as I picked up the comb I hadn't even noticed I dropped and finished putting my hair into a bun. By the time I slipped on my bomber jacket and laced up my boots I had come to a decision. Did Rooster and I like each other as more than friends? Maybe, but it was better for the both of us if I sit back, do what comes naturally and see where it leads me. 'If anyone wants to try and talk me out of this they can kiss my ass' I told myself, it's not their life. Almost perfectly timed, I got a text from Bradley. 

Bird Man🐓:

Mornin' sunshine:)

Swiftie:

morning bubba:)

Bird Man🐓:

i was wondering if you wanted to ride the bike with me to work 

Swiftie:

ofc!! we haven't cruised on that old thing in a while that's for sure 

i'm ready whenever you are

Bird Man🐓:

great i'll be waiting in the parking lot 

i feel like a coffee stop 

u?

Swiftie:

what do you think Bradshaw? you know it's gonna be by a miracle i EVER turn down coffee😂

Bird Man🐓:

hey could've been the miracle day...

After his last text, I take a screenshot, sending it to Natasha and walk out my door, grabbing the keys to my jet and locking the door on the way out. I walk down two flights of stairs and out to the parking lot. 

"Fancy seeing you here," Bradley laughs as I round the corner with my helmet from my car in tow.

"Shut the hell up," I mumble, color flooding my cheeks as I hug him around the neck. He hugs around the waist, causing me to gasp in surprise as he picks me up spinning a little. We both laugh as he sets me down. I climb onto the back of his Ninja H2 carbon and move right behind him, with my chest pressed against his back and my arms holding tightly around his waist. Once we start riding down the highway I rest my head on the back of his shoulder, exhaling and enjoying the ride. Being about 6 o'clock in the morning there was hardly anyone on the roads. As I feel the speed of the bike I bury my head into his shoulder kissing it as I do so, I feel as if this is how the rest of my life should be. Going and traveling with the guy who has been a rock for me since the young age of two. For once in my life, the idea of having a relationship with him was a calm and relaxing thought and in no way unsettling. Rooster then pulls into the Starbucks parking lot, forcing me out of my thoughts. 

After drinking our coffee, we walk out of the store with forty five minutes to spare before having to be back at the base.

"I was thinking," Bradley starts "that since I have to drive you home anyways we can just go pick up some food and hang out just the two of us after work." I look at him wondering if he was implying a date or not. "O-Or if you don't want to I can..." He starts back nervously. Did he just invite me on a date. 

"Sounds perfect," I answer smiling as I kick over the side of the bike sitting behind him again. This time I rest my head on his back before he takes off, grinning like a devil to myself. 

About thirty minutes later, Rooster and I take our seats beside each other on deck, while Natasha and her new back-seater, Bob, take the desk behind us. I'm not quite sure what his real name is, when he introduced himself he said that it was both his name and his callsign when I met him, it was strange but I didn't question it. 

"Attention on deck!" one of the admirals at the front shouts. We all stand accordingly.

"Good morning, and welcome to your special training detachment. You may be seated." We all sit before he continues.

"I'm Admiral Bates. You are all Top Gun graduates, the best of the best, that was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighters level the playing field. We have very few details, but we do have the technological advantage anymore. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." We all sit in silence, this is the biggest mission any of us might ever fly, and from the sounds of it, someone might not be coming back. "Half of you will make the cut. Only one of you will make mission leader, the others will remain in reserve. Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every aspect you are expected to learn and master," he continues "his exploits are legendary, and what he has to each you may very well be the difference between life and death."

I didn't bother to listen for him to say the man's name, I was already very well briefed with it. I watched as Captain Pete Mitchell walked up to the podium. I quickly looked at Rooster who was trying his best to not let his emotions reflect onto his face. His leg was already bouncing, a constant side effect of my anxiety I knew well. I moved my hand under the table, taking the hand that was on Bradley's leg and giving it a reassuring squeeze. He then took my hand in his, lacing our fingers together and squeezing my hand, signaling a silent thank you. 

"Good morning," Maverick starts, Bradley keeps my hand in his "This book contains everything you need to know about your aircraft," he says holding up a standard F-18 manual "I'm assuming you know this inside and out?"

"Hell, yeah" Hangman responds, radiating confidence. Such a suck up. Jake's face suddenly falls as Maverick throws the manual in the trash can. 

"So does your enemy," he states "but what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find those limits, test them, and push beyond. Today we start with what you think you know. Show me what you're made of."

Once we change into our gear, I walk alongside Bradley outside. Suddenly, Maverick walks up behind us, calling Bradley's name.