A CHANGE

Narrator

Something that always keeps our life moving.... something that makes things possible... and those things are done by some external forces.... This is not some fairy tail story where the narrator comes in between and narrates the happenings. This is the life of  four characters whose movements will be decided by the narrator itself. Who is that narrator? Yes, that's me, their common FATE. Let's enter into their lives.

Pallavi

Mornings are very hectic. I woke up at 6 am as usual and refreshed myself. I then did my as usual yoga in the terrace and then went down around 6.40. I drank coffee and then started to prepare lunch. 'What can I make today?' is the biggest challenge for me.

I then decided to prepare sambar and potato fry. Today is Monday, Akhil hates this day. So let me cool him up with his favorite lunch. I prepared the lunch and kept the rice in the pressure cooker. Didn't he wake up? He should have woken up by 6.30 na?

I went to his room. In his single cot, with his full figure inside his cotton rug, that buffalo is sleeping soundly. "Akhil... wake up." I sat beside him and shook him. "Mmm..." He hummed. "Akhil its 7.30. Wake up." I said.

"Please Pallavi, let me sleep in peace." He said. This guy... He will tell me to wake him up by 7 and when I wake him up, he will never get up. But when he realizes he is late, he will scold me like, "Why didn't you wake me up? I had plans for today's morning." I stopped waking him up so that he will get responsibility, but see.... nothing came.

But despite that, I have to wake him up right? Why? He is my brother. Is that reason not enough? 

"Un ishtam, elupiten, aprom nee aachu, un time aachu." (Your wish, I have woke you up, then its you or your time.") I then got ready for office. Another big day. I made dosas for me and ate it with sambar. I then took all my belongings and lit the diya in the puja room. 

I then went to that guy's room. Still same position. I then went and pulled the rug. "Pallavi. leave it." He was holding it tightly. I pulled it further and he was sliding from the bed. "Pallavi please!!" And the he got up and pulled it with full force. I was about to fall but I got my grip and pulled it again. 

Tug of war in morning! I then left the rug and saw him. He was standing and sleeping. Wow. Ivlo theliva irukkane, ivana nambi office polaama? Povom, ethana vaati idha vida mosamaana nelamaila laam poirkom. (Can I believe this guy and leave for office? Its okay, lets go, after all I have left him alone in even worst case scenarios.)

"Sir, Akhil sir, I am leaving for office sir. Spare key is with me and take the another key with you without fail sir. Lock the door and go. Make dosas and eat sir, okay?" I literally shouted. He then said, "Okay, bye." I then started to leave. Gosh, my morning headache, particularly on Monday mornings is Akhil. I always have one key with me for emergency.

He sleeps late on Sunday nights, that makes me frustrated. Though he has college that starts from 9.30, he wants to wake up by 6.30, but sir can't do that. I then saw Anbu uncle cleaning his scooty  and Vimala aunty sitting on the entrance stairs and drinking coffee. "Good morning uncle and aunty." I said with a smile. "Good morning da ma." They said in chorus with smile. 

"I am leaving for office, bye." I said while putting my helmet. "Bye da, take care." Aunty said. Uncle also waved me a 'bye.' They both are the owners of our house. They live in the ground floor and we live in the first floor. We are their tenants. But we are very close. Me and Akhil are so close to them.

Since they don't have children, they always used to say we are like their own children. Since we don't have parents, we see them like our parents. I then reached office. I parked my scooty in the two-wheeler parking and then went inside my office.