IS IT NECESSARY?

PALLAVI

I got up around 6.00 itself. I wanted to go to temple today morning. There is a Ganesha temple nearby. It is small but it gives pleasant vibes. I always go there every Sunday evening with Vimala aunty. I got a new dress from my cup board. Akhil chose this for my birthday.

An orange kurti with printed design. I took head bath and then wore the kurti. I got ready around 6.45. I have to prepare breakfast and lunch. I decided to make a simple lunch because we are going to have dinner tonight with Shilpa aunty and family.

I then made a simple lunch: rasam with raw banana fry (my brother will kill me). By the time, Sushmitha got up. "Hey, happy birthday." She came and hugged me. "Thank you Sushmi." I said. "Okay, I gotta go now. See you at dinner." She said as she was taking her belongings. "What? Eat breakfast and go na? I will make dosas." I said.

"No problem yaar, I told mom that I will be there for breakfast. So bye." She said. "Wait, how did you come?" I asked her. "My scooty, ofcourse. Hid it in the backyard lol. Okay bye birthday girl." She chuckled and left. I waved at her and then went to make side dish for dosas. I made pudina chutney (mint sauce) as side-dish.

All set, I will go to temple, come back and then eat my breakfast. I thought of not disturbing Akhil so I took the house keys and closed the door. Downstairs, Vimala aunty was waiting. Anbu uncle was reading newspaper.

"Sorry aunty, am I late?" I asked her. "No da. And wish you a very happy birthday." She said and touched my head as a gesture of blessing. Anbu uncle also came and told, "Yes, happy birthday Pallavi. All I wish is you to have a happy and prosperous life." He said, smiling. "And.. your aunty is up early today. She is excited to take you to temple at morning." He said by looking at aunty.

"Yes, yes.. if your uncle keeps talking like this, we can't move anywhere." She said, faking her anger. I heartily laughed at their conversation. "Okay, okay, come aunty, we will go soon." I said and we both proceeded. Aunty had the archanai koodai (the basket which contains fruits and flowers which are made as offerings to the God at the temple on occasions).

The temple is at a walking distance. Me and aunty were chit-chatting in between. As we reached the temple, aunty got betel leaf and some jasmine. Me and aunty then went inside the temple and offered prayers to the God. We gave the basket to the priest and then prayed to God.

After that, we sat in the temple for a few minutes and then came out. "It gives me good vibes, when I visit temple on mornings. I wish uncle joins me, but he never comes." Aunty said. She loves visiting temples. But the thing is that, she wants someone to come with her, though she goes alone most of the times.

By the time we reached home, I got blessings from aunty and uncle. They gave me a handbag as gift. It was looking so good. A sky blue color handbag. "Thank you aunty and uncle." I said. I bid farewell and then went home quickly to have my breakfast. I found Akhil woke up when I reached there.

"Oh good morning, Pallavi." He was brushing his teeth. He had his brush inside his mouth. "Good morning da, I will go and have my breakfast. Go and refresh." I said. I then made dosas and ate them quickly. By the time, I was about to go, Akhil called me. "Pallavi, I will drop you." He said. I turned to look at him.

"Wait, you took bath and came so fast?" I asked him. "Yeah, come on. I am gonna drop you and pick you up from office." He said. That's actually good, you know? "Okay da, thank you so much." I said. "I will drop you and go to college." He told me. 

He dropped me at office and left for his college. When I was about to press the lift button, someone was about to press at the same time. I turned to look at that person, and he was our new group manager, Subash. "Oh hi sir, good morning." I said, shaking. Oof, that embarrassment.