Momentary Escape: Liam

I tried my best to put the start of my day into the back of my head. I wanted to enjoy Allegra as much as possible and not think of my shitty parents and the shitty way they made me feel, which was easier said than done at first. We swung by my favorite coffee shop, and I bought her a lavender latte, myself a black coffee, and a couple pastries to share and then we hit the road for Malibu.

Allegra had begged me to take the top down on the Jeep which excited me more than it probably should've. Most girls that had been in my car were more worried about their hair, but Allegra wanted the thrill. Sure, it made talking a bit difficult, but that was okay. I didn't feel much like discussing what had happened that morning (or in my childhood) anyway. Instead, I got to watch her laugh and enjoy the wind in her hair. We sang (or screamed rather) along with the radio and just existed together for the entire hour drive. It was like she knew exactly what I needed without me having to say it, and that was definitely something I wasn't used to.

"You have a beach house?!" Allegra shrieked as I pulled into the driveway of a little white house.

"Kind of," I stated, throwing the Jeep into park. "It's not just mine." Allegra gave me a curious look and I sighed. "Lana and I both own it. She's not here a whole lot so it didn't make sense for her to buy it herself, so we went together on it."

"You bought a house with your fuck buddy?" Allegra questioned, hopping out of the car.

I chuckled. "We actually did it during one of the points we weren't fucking, but yeah, I guess." This was uncomfortable. Any other girl I'd brought to this place freaked out when I mentioned owning it with another woman, so I was waiting for Allegra to react the same, but instead she gave me a smile that made my heart clench.

"She means a lot to you, doesn't she?"

I could feel my face heat as I wrapped a hand around the back of my neck and squeezed. "Yeah, she's um... she's pretty close to the only constant I've had for... a long time."

"Well, I'm glad you have her," Allegra stated, her smile no faltering for even a second. We just stood there for a second, grinning at each other like idiots from opposite sides of the car, and then she started bouncing again. "Now I want a tour!"

I laughed and nodded my head as she skipped to my side. "That I can do."

We spent pretty much the whole day either on the sand or in the water. My spunky little pixie was apparently also part fish, and it was impossible to take my eyes off her. Especially because she'd worn that damn crocheted bikini that had been burned into my brain since the first night we met. We talked and laughed and had more than one water fight and by the time the evening rolled around, I'd damn near forgotten how the day had started, which was exactly the result I'd been after. As the sun began to set, I started a fire in the pit behind the house while Allegra rooted around in my Jeep for a sweatshirt.

"We should stay here tonight," she stated as she reappeared.

I looked up to find her in an old UCLA hoodie I didn't even remember owning. The thing was entirely too big for her, the hem reaching the middle of her thigh. It looked like an oversized dress and yet somehow it was the hottest fucking thing I'd ever seen. I cleared my throat and turned my attention back to poking the fire into starting. "You sure? I don't have a whole lot here."

"We can run to the gas station up the street. I'm a pretty easy girl to make happy," Allegra stated with a smirk as she settled into the patio chair to the right of mine. "Get me a Sprite and some Hot Cheetos and I'll be good."

"A Sprite? Dang girl, take it easy."

Allegra giggled and reached over, giving my shoulder a shove. "I know, I know. It's not the usual Dom 'n Lobster that the usual girls you date want, but..."