Chapter 3

After waiting a few days, he came to visit me. We made up and planned to run away on the fourth night from now. Today is the night before that day. I feel so anxious, am I doing the right thing? My heart feels like it might explode from my chest. Everytime I looked at my family these past few days, I have felt nothing but sadness knowing that the day is coming near. But let's leave that be, because I have made my decision.

I stare at my room once more and start packing all of my clothes, jewellery, my harp, and music sheets. It'll be okay, I know it. I throw on my nightie and go to sleep one last time on this bed. I woke up the next morning, got ready in a green long dress and made my way to breakfast. I greeted my sisters with a subtle good morning and dug into my plate of muffins. Mother and father weren't here today for breakfast since they were out riding and wouldn't be back until after noon. "Marnie, I wanted to ask you how your new writing was going so far?" I asked

"Oh very well sister! Thank you for asking." She replied looking everyone

"Well do explain what it is about" Vivienne said laughing

"Of course! It's about this beautiful enchantress in France and how she-" Mariella's enthusiastic voice gets cut with Jeanne's bored voice

"Ugh...sister, maybe it's time you focus on more grown up things rather than stuffing your head in books all the time! You know, this won't get you very far."

"OH, let her live Jeanne! Not everyone is like you, a dull and snooty person." Marianne jumped in

"What would you know? You're always off running around in the forest like a loose squirrel. I, on the other hand, have a future and something to look forward to." Jeanne started playing defensive

"How about you Jeanne stay quiet and let Mariella finish her explanation?" I say

"No, I am only saying what is right." she replied

"You will stay quiet or you will leave. I am the older sister here." I say partially frustrated which does make her quiet.

"Now, continue with the story, dearest sister."

I head into my room after the most exhausting breakfast ever. Jeanne is quite the person sometimes. I don't even know how mother deals with her. I stuff my face in my pillow and take a small nap. I woke up around the time before supper and felt terribly tired, so I decided I was not hungry. I stayed the next few hours in my new room writing a few new songs. As soon as the sunset, I felt extremely anxious, but was somewhat excited for the adventure yet to come.

I quickly finished my letters, and gently put them outside the door of my sisters. Each one had a carefully crafted message. I, then, hurried back to my room, put my hooded cape on, grabbed my bag, and made my way down to the back door. After a long walk, I waited in the middle of the forest for Timothee only to be greeted by him a mere moment later. We put our stuff on his wagon and horse, and ventured off.

...

It has been five moons of traveling since we reached the place we would call home. We believe we are far enough from the kingdom, so that they must never find us. We unload everything and let Chatok (our horse) rest. It is a green field with a babbling brook, and a small forest at the edge. Not our kingdom's forest but another one. We decided to gather woodstock and build our house from our own bare hands. It took us almost seven moons to finish it but we were happy with its ending. Inside, it had everything. There was a hearth, wooden table, pots and pans, a wooden closet, straw beds, chamber pots and also two connected houses for our precious Chatok and food stock. It was mesmerizing and I was extremely happy with the result. We had some food in storage that could last us a good amount of time until Timothee could get the food growing in the field. Was I enjoying all of this? Oh yes! Very much so!

The next morning was a chilly one indeed. Winter was coming and we hadn't stocked up on much food yet. I woke up and got myself ready for the day. This definitely was nothing like living at the castle. I threw on a white and red dress on myself and I styled my hair into a cozy bun. Next, I made the fire, and put the pots on it with warm water. Obviously, Timothee was still asleep so I woke him up and he got ready. I also laid out bread, and an apple for Timothee for breakfast. Later on, he went to work in the feild and I stayed indoors and started to knit a few more warm clothes. While I was doing that, I started to think about how different life was now. Almost everything for that matter.

After a long day at work, Timothee came back inside, hung his coat, washed his face and hands, and sat down at the table where a bowl of vegetable soup, and bread was waiting for him. With a big mouthful he asked me "Roseanne, are you...are you happy with everything so far?"

Without looking up from my soup, I said "Of course I am, Timothee. It is gorgeous here."

"I'm glad you think so." he said smiling which made me grin huge

I was happy, I truly was. But something felt off, I'm really not sure what felt off. It just did being here. Well, whatever. I'm just going to ignore it and hopefully, whatever it was, it'll be okay.