Chapter 7 | Final

JUNE 2022

"Charge paddles to 200... clear!" Jennie said, holding the crash cart paddles to her patient's chest. The shock ran through the machine, making the man who'd come into the E.R., already coding, spasm on the gurney.

She looked at the monitor for signs of a heartbeat, expelling a short breath. "Anything?" Jennie asked as she pulled the paddles away.

"Nothing," Irene said, glancing at the monitors.

"Shit. Charge to 300," she instructed, holding the paddles up as they buzzed. Once they were charged, she shocked the patient again. She let out a sigh of relief when the monitors beeped and registered a heartbeat. "Get him into a room and keep him stable, Bae," Jennie added, putting the paddles back on the machine. "Page Dunn for a Neuro consult and page Cardio."

Jennie offered Irene a smile as she snapped off her gloves and moved out from behind the privacy curtain. She walked over to the nurse's station and leaned against it, fixing Jisoo with a tired look.

"Double shifts are the worst invention in the history of medicine," Jennie sighed.

"At least yours is almost done," Jisoo grinned.

Lisa made her way through a set of double doors, adjusting the crutches underneath her arms and trying to keep her soft cast off of the ground as she moved.

"Don't think I want you to use those on me, but the paddles were kinda hot," she murmured, smirking at Jennie as soon as they made eye contact.

Her smile was immediate as she moved over to meet Lisa. She let her eyes trail over the soft cast and the crutches, noting the dark circles under Lisa's eyes and the lightness back in her face.

"You think everything I do is hot. You're biased," Jennie murmured, stuffing her hands in the pockets of her coat to keep from reaching out for her girlfriend.

"Hey, I used my extensive medical knowledge to make that assessment," Lisa argued.

Jennie chuckled and nodded her head in the direction of the on-call room.

"Follow me?" she asked softly.

"Yes please," she replied, crutching after Jennie as quickly as she could.

The doctor held the door open for Lisa and then stepped in behind her, flicking the lock once the door was closed.

When she saw Lisa ditch the crutches and move to unbutton her shirt, Jennie barked out a laugh.

"Absolutely not. You're definitely not cleared for that yet," Jennie said, moving to grab the crutches and put them back under Lisa's arms.

"My doctor just cleared me. He said I'm healing perfectly," Lisa whined.

"Dr. O'Loughlin is not the best doctor in this hospital and he should never have been in charge of your recovery," Jennie scoffed, reaching out to re-button Lisa's shirt for her.

"I'm sorry, you're letting me see a mediocre doctor?" she gasped.

Jennie rolled her eyes at the mock offense in her girlfriend's voice. "I tried to get you assigned to me, but that broke too many rules."

"I thought Dr. O sounded really smart when he said I can get back to some strenuous activity. Sex included," Lisa smirked.

Jennie pursed her lips and felt that damn smirk do things to her she'd been so good at ignoring for the last seven weeks.

"You want the best medical opinion?" Jennie asked with a smirk of her own, running her fingers along the collar of Lisa's button-up shirt.

"I mean... I liked his answer, baby," Lisa pouted. "I'm horny. It's been two months."