Chapter 1 - Merman Coming Onshore

The first time that he used legs to walk, Nolan felt uncomfortable even when he was just standing upright.  

His sturdy and powerful tail was split into two long legs, the scales that covered his body peeled away to reveal smooth skin, and the tender soles of his feet hurt from the friction caused by standing on the rough surface.

Stark naked, Nolan slowly crouched down and took a seat on the reef. He winced as he massaged his legs that he wasn’t used to. The sorceress momo floated on the ocean surface, her eight tentacles moving to and fro along the waves. She looked at Nolan—who had turned human after drinking the potion—with a concerned expression, attempting to detain him by saying, “How about we just give up trying to find him? With your body like this, you won’t be able to handle it once you go ashore.”  

Nolan lifted his eyes up; the sunlight that shone into his eyes was refracted as sparkling light. Revealing his pearly white teeth, he insisted, “It’s okay. As long as I’m able to find that person, this little amount of pain does not matter at all. I’ve escaped after such efforts. There’s no way that I will easily give this chance up.”   

The sorceress momo heaved a long sigh. She whistled, summoning a seagull that clutched a leather suitcase from the sky blue horizon. With eyes full of unease, she handed the leather suitcase over to Nolan. She stroked his long hair with concern.  

“Once you’re onshore, you only have yourself to rely on. Be careful.”  

In the center of H City.

“This (railway) train is approaching the Center of the Universe Station. Passengers disembarking at the Center of the Universe Station, please make your [formal] preparations.”    

When the subway announcement came on, Nolan opened his drowsy eyes. He had ridden the train from the origin station of the Number 1 Line, Little Fisherman’s Village. It had taken about one hour or so. The physical strength that he had overexerted caused him to fall sound asleep under the swaying of the train.  

Nolan touched the little leather suitcase in his arms and stood up. The passengers standing around him—who had been discreetly assessing him—made a passageway for him, unprompted, so that he could get to the doors without much trouble.   

“Thank you.” Nolan thanked the female passenger who made way for him with an eye-smile. 

“It’s fine, it’s fine.” The female passenger who was suddenly thanked by a beauty flushed red. She hastily waved her hand.  

After exiting from the train station, Nolan held an old-fashioned smartphone and, following the method that the sorceress momo had taught him, used the location pinpointed in Google Maps to find Chu Muyu’s company.   

This was the largest model company in H City, a part of Mu Shi Entertainment. The office building before Nolan’s eyes in this CBD district was Mu Shi Entertainment’s main company. There was no lack of handsome men, beautiful women, as well as professional staff appearing to be in a hurry in front of the company. They formed a juxtaposition with Nolan, who just stood where he was.    

As he watched the unending flow of people coming in and out of the building, Nolan was suddenly at a loss. He only knew that Chu Muyu was at a company called Mu Shi. He didn’t know anything else. As for what a model was, what a manager was—he was even more bewildered.   

“There are so many people. Where should I begin my search?”  

Nolan furrowed his good-looking brow, standing in the plaza and looking towards the entrance to Mu Shi Entertainment. Under the scorching sun, Nolan’s head full of long, slightly curly lake-blue hair was very conspicuous. Even if he—who had broad shoulders, a narrow waist, and a perky butt—made a casual pose while standing in his spot, he would attract the gazes of many of the people in the flow coming in and out of the company; not to mention that as a merman, he was already much taller than the average human.