Chapter 4 - Model Lessons

For merfolk to take on a human appearance, they had to pay a price.  

Although he temporarily metamorphosed into human form due to drinking the potion that the sorceress momo had concocted, he had to soak his body in water for several hours every three days or else the merfolk’s exquisite skin was liable to drying up. Furthermore, every night of the full moon, Nolan would hurt from all over. It felt like he was slowly being cut by knives; only the kiss of the person he loved could temporarily ease this kind of agony.    

If Nolan was unable to receive the kiss of the person he loved within three months, he would turn into foam, dissipating from the world. And if he wanted to stay together with the person he loved for a long time, he must plant the merfolk’s mark on that person’s body within three months.   

Feeling comfortable, Nolan let out a long sigh. He submerged his lower body, which had turned back into a tail, completely within the bathtub. His face was scarlet from the steam of the warm water vapor. He rested his chin on the edge of the bathtub and closed his eyes in contentment.  

After soaking in the warm water, the lake blue gradient of the scales on his fishtail glistened and shone. Nolan brushed aside the bath salt bubbles on the surface of the water and used a sponge to clean his tail bit by bit.   

“As I thought, it’s more comfortable to be a fish.” Nolan swayed his head and hummed a tune, joyfully keeping rhythm with his tail. He enjoyed the short period of relaxation.

It was really so hard as a human. One had to be shone on by the sun; after leaving the water, the air was so dry that it was asking for one’s life; what was more, one had to use two legs to walk upright. It was practically torture. It was much more comfortable to stay in the ocean. But the ocean didn’t have Chu Muyu. This human whom he had yearned for and thought of for five years was unable to turn into a merman; he couldn’t go to the bottom of the ocean like Nolan could. 

Nolan fished out the conch that he had snuck into the bathroom from the clothes that he had taken off. After shaking it for a while, he pressed his ear close to the conch and asked in a low voice, “Are you there?”   

The conch vibrated slightly for a moment. The sound of ocean waves was transmitted from the conch. Shortly afterwards, an ethereal, clear, and melodious male voice came from the conch.  

“Nolan? Have you gone onshore yet?”  

Nolan replied very happily, “I’d come onshore ages ago. I’m in Chu Muyu’s house right now.”  

That familiar voice fell silent for a moment, then asked, “So he has recognized you?”  

The corner of Nolan’s mouth instantly dropped. Disheartened, he answered, “No, he said that he had been injured while surfing five years ago. He has completely forgotten everything related to me.”

“How could this be?”  

“Hahh, looks like he was really severely injured that time. He had already fallen unconscious when I brought him ashore from the sea.” Nolan recalled how Chu Muyu had been at death’s door at the time. His heart ached and he couldn’t help from saying, “If only I had noticed him sinking into the sea earlier.”  

The male voice consoled him, “That’s not your fault. It is very difficult to sense what happens on the surface of the water from the ocean floor in the first place. He has completely forgotten about you. Do you…still want to continue?”  

“Yes.” Nolan said decisively, “Noah, you don’t know how wonderful he is. He is the gentlest person I have ever met.”  

Chu Muyu was so gentle, just like the sunshine that passed through the waves and rested amidst the ripples like a sparkling jewel. It led this little merman at the time to yearn for him for so many years, looking forward to being able to drag Chu Muyu into his lair and properly have the man in his collection.