Chapter Seven

"What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve questioned, looking back at the group that had formed on the porch of the Creel House. 

From the second that the group pulled up to the Creel House, Maggie Fulmer immediately had a horrible feeling in her stomach, she didn't like this not one bit.  Regardless of how she felt, Maggie had tried her best to outwardly show confidence as she walked up to the plywood that covered the doorway, helping Steve to pull the nails out to reveal the hidden door. 

"To be honest, I don't really know." Maggie returned with a shrug. "I guess anything that looks like a clue."

Nancy nodded. "We just know this house is important to Vecna." 

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?" Steve questioned, Maggie, giving him a small nod in return.  "Great." 

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back." Dustin started hopefully. "Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max."

 "We don't think he's in here, do we?" Lucas questions. 

Max shrugged.  "Guess we'll find out." 

"Ready?" Steve asked looking over to Maggie who nodded, letting the plywood slam to the ground, before Steve reached over to shake the locked door handle. "It's locked. Should I knock, see if anybody's home?"

"No need." Robin interrupted, holding up a rock. "I found a key." She continued before throwing it through the stained glass window, reaching into the jagged window frame before unlocking the door.  

The group entered, flashlights quickly searching their way through the space when Lucas moved towards a lamp, attempting to flick it on with no return. "Looks like someone forgot to pay their electric bill."

 "Wait, where'd everyone get those?" Steve asked, looking around at the flashlights everyone was holding as they searched the room.

"Do you need to be told everything?" Dustin asked Steve incredulously. "You're not a child." 

"Thank you." Steve returned sarcastically, reaching to grab a flashlight from the pocket in Dustin's backpack. 

"Hey, guys?" Max tentatively asked, gathering everyone's attention onto a grandfather clock that stood beside the stairs. "You all see that, right?" 

 "Yeah. Is this what you saw?" Maggie asked, watching Max carefully. "In your visions?" 

" I mean, it's... just a clock. Right?" Robin attempted to reassure everyone. "Like a normal old clock."

 "Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks?" Steve asked, thinking aloud. "Maybe he's, like, a clockmaker or something?"

 "I think you cracked the case, Steve." Dustin returned sarcastically. 

 "All I know is the answers are here," Nancy said. "Somewhere. Okay, everyone stay in groups of two or three. She ordered before turning to Robin. "Robin, upstairs. Come on."

Nancy and Robin began to head upstairs, Max and Lucas peeling off in another direction which left Maggie with only one option. "Guess I'm with you two." She smiled at Steve and Dustin, following her flashlight's path up the stairs.  

"You heard her. Let's go." Steve said turning to Dustin, excited to have Maggie in the group to mix up the dynamic between him and Dustin.  

The group headed up the stairs, slowly combing their way through the various rooms upstairs, looking for anything that could potentially serve as a clue towards Vecna or the 'Upside Down'.