Chapter Eight

"Not to be a wimp, but can I sit in the car? 'Cause, this is gonna totally and royally suck." Robin insisted, the group gathered in the car as they made their way to finally break all of the recent news to Eddie, whose situation was only growing worse each day. "I can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't."

 "At least he can drink himself into feeling better," Steve interjected from the backseat, holding up the six-pack that Eddie had requested Maggie to get for him.  

"Why don't we give it a trial?" Robin started, ignoring Steve. "Hey, Eddie. Uh, good news first this time. We got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. Bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're doubly, triply screwed." 

"Uh, maybe we shouldn't put it like that," Maggie returned as they pulled up near to where Eddie had most recently been staying. 

"Oh, shit," Nancy said, her eyes falling on the crowd of people that had gathered there on top of a group of cops. 

Maggie watched nervously as the cops handled the situation of yet another murder before finally holding up a photo of Eddie, officially naming him as a person of interest. "Shit, this isn't good at all." She muttered. 

Dustin's walkie-talkie crackled slightly before Eddie's voice came through. "Dustin, can you hear me? Maggie?"

 "Eddie. Holy shit." Dustin replied, Maggie carefully watching for anyone looking their way and who could potentially hear them. "Are you okay?" 

Eddie chuckled. "Nah, man. Pretty... Pretty goddamn far from okay." 

"Where are you?" Maggie interjected, grabbing the device from Dustin.

 "Skull Rock. Do you know it?"

Maggie nodded. "Uh, yeah. That's near Cornwallis and..." 

 "Garrett, yeah," Steve finished. "I know where that is."

"Hold tight," Dustin called down the device. "We're coming."

"Dude, I'm telling you, you're taking us the wrong way," Steve said, the group taking the path to Skull Rock on foot, relying on Dustin's navigation skills to get them there. 

 "It's north," Dustin argued, looking down at his compass once more. "I'm positive. I checked the map."

"You do realize Skull Rock, it's a super popular make-out spot?" 

 "Yeah. So?" Dustin returned with a roll of his eyes. 

 "Yeah, well, it wasn't popular until I made it popular. All right?" He explained. "I practically invented it." 

"Ah yes, a rock that has probably existed for a lot longer than all of our ages combined, but yet you invented it," Maggie interjected, walking to catch up with the two from where she had previously hung back to talk with Robin.  

"We're heading in the wrong direction." Steve insisted, ignoring both Maggie and Dustin's comments as he headed off in a different direction. 

" Steve. Where are you going? Steve!" Dustin shouted after him. 

 "Stop whining." Steve groaned, turning back to the two of them. "Let's go. Trust me."

Maggie shrugged before following Steve, Dustin begrudgingly following him until the group had arrived underneath a collection of rocks.