4-5. Audio tapes

(TW: monsters, off-screen death)

Rockmount Ranger Archive
Details: The recordings were found on tape decks in a sealed box which was fished out of the lake by a diver.
Date: 12/11/2018

AP stands for Alex Pearson, the name was written on the inside of the box the tapes were found in. We tried to find a record of them but came up with nothing. It's like they were just swallowed up by the earth -Jim

(START OF TRACK ONE)

AP: So Cole said I should document my trip for the family.

AP: So here I am (pause) documenting. (chuckle)

AP: It's currently 7:00 and I'm about to make dinner.

AP: I'm uh I'm sitting on the couch in my school bus while recording this.

AP: I'm thinking about driving to the lake and maybe do some fishing and swim a little.

AP: So (pause) uh yeah.

(END OF TRACK ONE)

(START OF TRACK TWO)

AP: So last night I recorded and then ate dinner.

AP: I'm gonna drive over to the lake today somewhere around 11:00 since it's only 9:15.

AP: I didn't sleep that well last night.

AP: I keep hearing coyotes outside but I could've sworn they don't come up here.

AP: Hopefully there won't be as many near the lake. (sigh)

(END OF TRACK TWO)

(START OF TRACK THREE)

(Bird calls can be heard in the distance)

AP: So the coyotes have definitely gotten quieter, but the birds haven't. (laugh)

AP: I'm currently outside and I was gonna try and fish but every time I cast it out my lure gets stuck on something under the water.

AP: It sucks that there's not even a way to get more food, or even some better food.

AP: And Bertha Bus is running low on gas too, so I don't think I can drive her to another spot without dipping into my emergency reserves and I don't really think this counts as an emergency y'know.

AP: I should probably see if another camper has protein bars or something; I could hike to the camping supply store.

AP: by the way, weird place for a camping supply store, I mean know your demographic sure but right outside of a camping spot? And the owner's shady too, when I drove in he just stared at me. What a creep.

(END OF TRACK THREE)

(START OF TRACK FOUR)

AP: So I hiked up to the store and bought some more gas, but the owner said I should try fishing again before I move because, and I quote, "it's the best spot to feed", seriously the dude's a major weirdo.

AP: I'm currently hiking back to my spot and it's (pause) (quiet shuffling) that can't be right.

AP: My watch says its 1:09 AM.

AP: It just said 7:34 a minute ago (pause) (crickets) the sun JUST went down (owl hooting)

(growling can be heard)

(bushes rustling)

AP: Hello?

(silence)

AP: Screw this I'm heading back

(END OF TRACK FOUR)

(NEXT TAPE)

(START OF TRACK ONE)

AP: I think I'm gonna have to end my trip early. I've been waking up in the middle of the night and I think I'm seeing things.

AP: Plus the coyotes are getting a little too comfortable (sigh) they've been bumping up against the side of my bus (shaky breath) I'm scared they might try to enter.

AP: It's currently 1:45 PM (sigh) I'm so tired.

(silence)

AP: I'll be home soon.

(END OF TRACK ONE)

(START OF TRACK TWO)

AP: (shaky breath) (sob) Oh my god oh my god.

AP: It's the forest (clattering) it's alive (sob) it wants us gone.

AP: They aren't coyotes (banging) at least not anymore.

AP: (breathing evens out) Ok uh (steady breath) I don't know if I'm going to make it out, but if I don't (pause) Cole, I love you (banging can be heard) and please just focus on your school you're smart and deserve to go to college.

AP: Elliot be good (banging can be heard) Nova you too, you guys play nice and get to bed on time (chuckle) (sob)

AP: The things out there hate water so I'm gonna drive the bus into the lake and pray someone finds me.

AP: Okay (steady breath) here I go

(END OF TRACK TWO)

(START OF TRACK THREE)

(panting)

(crunching leaves)

(howling can be heard in the distance)

(wood groaning)

AP: The bus (pause) (panting) they cut the gas (heavy breathing) I'm close to the lake

(barking can be heard)

(stumbling)

(growling can be heard, closer)

(rustling)

(panting)

(a grunt, then a splash)

(a scream can be heard in the distance)

(END OF TAPE)