6 - Go Home

The car ride to the main office was silent. Like awkwardly silent.

Mr. Grey hasn't spoken a word since the meeting. He hasn't even cracked a smile once the other boss gave him 30% of a business idea that he has not once contributed to.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-"

"No, you're right. Everything between us should be kept appropriate and professional." He says calmly.

I shrink back in my seat, praying that his personal driver would run over all the other cars in the New York traffic so I could get to my little PA room and cry.

I whisper, "Okay." With a trembling lip. I don't know why it's trembling.

"How old are you again?" He looks down at his watch in impatience.

My eyes perk up, glad that he started a conversation, "I just turned nineteen last month."

"Okay." Mr. Grey replies coldly.

I press my lips in a tight line and look outside my car door's window, while fighting back tears.

He takes a deep breath in, "Also, you'll find in your business email an invitation I forwarded to you."

"For what?" I continued to look out the window.

"A ball. On Friday night, more towards downtown in the grand ball room."

"Can I bring someone?" I ask.

He scrunches his eyebrows, "No."

I wanted to ask if I could bring Esther. I can't go to a business ball by myself!

"But-"

"I said no. Bring yourself. It's an extremely formal black tie event. I can send you a dress."

I stare back out the window, sullenly, "I have one." I whisper.

He doesn't respond and opens his phone.

Quickly wiping my watery eyes, I face towards him, "Once again, I'm sorry. I don't want anything being awkward or- we-"

He sighs heavily, "Miss Heart, I don't want to give you the impression that this is what having a job is like. I shouldn't have touched you or said anything inappropriate. Now stop mentioning it."

There was about an hour left of my shift, but I'm sure I could finish this task in 30 minutes.

The second we got back to the office, Mr. Grey left a list on my desk in the room connected to his. Without a word, he left the office with an extremely attractive bimbo female.

Yes, I would agree that seeing them leave left a scratch in my heart. But, that man isn't mine. And his personal relationships have nothing to do with me.

I didn't know that relationships weren't like the books or movies, apparently.

I took a look at the list and saw loads of assignments for me. It was only 12 PM at the time, but now it is almost 8 and he is still not back.

The sun has set and I am exhausted.

I've been used to doing work like this. Refusing to pick up my phone until I am finished. The only time I picked up my phone was to tell Miss Aird to pick me up, other than that I shut it off.

My last task was to send out the final copy of the ball invitations in a few days. Apparently, Mr. Grey sealed a deal with a company that was growing quickly in success and popularity. They felt it was necessary to celebrate this infusion, so they're hosting a ball.

The invitations say that plus ones are allowed, so why can I bring one? It makes no sense.

My manicured finger clicked send for the very last few recipients. With the clock reading 7:56 PM, I quickly got up and grabbed my bag.

I would say today was a very successful day. I hope he will be satisfied with my progress, even though I am extremely inexperienced to be in an organized environment. I know what to do, but not necessarily how to do it.

Walking out the office, I realized that I had forgotten to close my door. I run back in.

My small heels click on the floor, but soon mesh with the noises of other heels that do not sound too feminine.

"Miss Heart."

I freeze in my spot.

I hear him begin to walk closer, "You're supposed to be done at 8:30, not 8. Correct?"

His voice sends chills down my spine. Slowly, I turn around to face him, his figure standing a couple feet away.

The ambience of the office is dark with small orange lighting casted over our faces. I made sure to light a few candles that look like they've never been lit a day in their life.

Bright lights from the dark, but lively city occasionally shine in through the walls made of glass.

I could hear the air conditioner suddenly stop, like it usually does every once in a while, but it made the situation more tense.

How do I respond?

All my calmness has disappeared right in this moment. I left my pills on the counter at home, and I'm supposed to take the twice a day.

I thought taking two at once would suffice, but apparently not.

Cracking my fingers I respond, "I-I finished."

"There's always more to do." He responded huskily, with no time wasted.

There's nothing else I could've known to do. I only do as I'm told.

"I only do as I'm told, sir." I put my head down.

Mr. Grey clicks his tongue a few times, "I could decipher that within the first few moments I saw you, Miss Aird."

He walks slightly closer, but stops.

My breath stills in anticipation. Is he going to-

"Go home." He sighed, his voice completely changing.

I look up at him with red cheeks, only to see him loosening his tie and walking towards his desk, "Get some rest. Be here by 9 AM."

I nod, even though he couldn't see me.

"I mean, yes, sir. I will. Thank you." I slightly speak up. I remember how much he always prefers I use my words instead of my head.

Before turning to leave, I spot the smallest of smirks resting on his face. I press my lips together and walk towards the elevator.