LET'S SCARE BETH TO DEATH!

◊◊◊

(the weirdo on maple street)

◊◊◊

An hour later, Beth did in fact, see Barb. She was sitting in the backseat, leaning forward across the center console as she tried to fix her hair in the rear-view mirror. Barb had scolded her a few times for blocking her vision. Beth was running her fingers up her scalp, trying to fluff her hair to get more volume at the roots, when Nancy told Barb to pull over.

"What?"

"Pull over!"

Beth sat back, a confused look on her face. "Nancy, Steve's house is three blocks away."

"We can't park in the driveway," Nancy said incredulously.

"Are you serious?" Barb questioned.

"Yeah, the neighbors might see."

"This is stupid," Beth huffed, already doubting her decision to come. Nancy was already acting strange, and she wasn't even in the presence of Steve yet. Beth could only imagine how much worse she would get once the brunette boy was around.

"I'm just gonna drop you off."

"Calm down, both of you," Nancy said, looking between her friends. "You both promised that you'd go. You're coming. We're gonna have a great time."

"He just wants to get in your pants," Barb practically yelled.

Nancy chuckled. "No he doesn't."

"Seriously? Nance.." Beth trailed off. "He invited you to his house. Not me or Barb."

"His parents aren't home," Barb added. "Come on, you are not this stupid." Beth nodded.

"Tommy H. and Carol are gonna be there."

"Tommy and Carol have been having sex since like seventh grade," Beth pointed out, trying to knock some sense into her friend.

"Really?"

"Yeah, why'd you think Carol got so pissed when she found out we fucked?"

"It'll probably just be like a big orgy," Barb's eyes widened dramatically.

"Gross," Nancy cringed as she began to take off her sweater.

"We're serious!" Beth chided.

"All right, well..." Nancy paused, thinking for a second. "You guys can be, like, my guardians. All right? Make sure I don't get drunk and do anything stupid."

"If I'm actually going to this thing, I will not be sober enough to be anything's guardian," Beth said. "Barb, if this orgy thing happens, we can partner up."