INVASION OF THE BARBARA SNATCHERS

◊◊◊

(the body)

◊◊◊

"This argument you and Barbara had," Officer Powell asked Nancy, "what exactly was it about?"

Beth's gaze fell to her lap, where she watched her pick at her own fingernails, scratching off the light pink polish that Nancy had painted on a few days prior. Everything was so much simpler then, when her biggest problems were a headache from the stinging stench of acetone and Nancy's incessant ramblings about the King of Hawkins High.

"It wasn't really an argument," Nancy said, her voice echoing through the empty room. "Barb just wanted to leave. I didn't. So I...I told her to just go home."

"And you had already left by then?" Officer Powell turned to Beth.

She nodded. "I told you, I felt sick."

The man nodded, humming as he nudged Officer Callahan, who was jotting notes (and, Beth suspected, doodles) down on a pad of paper. He turned back to Nancy. "Then what?"

"Then I went upstairs to put on some dry clothes."

"And, Elizabeth, on your way home, you saw a bear?"

"I've told you not to call me that. And it wasn't a bear," Beth shook her head. "It was all skinny and lanky and it-it made this awful shrieking roaring noise. Ask my dad, I told him all about it."

"Okay," Officer Powell raised his eyebrows, and Beth could tell he didn't believe her. It didn't help that Beth caught Officer Callahan doodling a cartoon bear on the corner of the notepad.

"I'm serious."

"I know, but you were sick and it was dark. You probably were just seeing things."

"But I wasn't-"

"Beth, sweetheart," Mrs. Wheeler interjected. "It's okay."

"I think," Nancy eyebrows were furrowed as she crossed her arms across her chest. "I think maybe it took Barb. You need to check behind Steve's house-"

"We did." Officer Callahan shook his head. "There's nothing there. There's no sign of a bear."

"And no car."

Beth and Nancy were caught off guard by Officer Powell's words, Beth's head turning so fast she could've sworn she gave herself whiplash.

"What?"

"Bullshit."

"Hey! Language," Officer Callahan scolded, pointing his pen at Beth. Her eyes darted over to him quickly, shooting him a look of annoyance before focusing back on the other cop at the table.