Chapter 2: The Glade

TW: yelling, panic attack, swearing

~Alex's POV~

We followed Kyle through corridors late into the night, Acho and Clover seemed to be half asleep when we finally stopped.

"This looks like a good place to rest, how about we just get some sleep and continue in the morning?" I suggested, basically carrying Clover by now.

Kyle sighed. "All right. But first light, I'm waking you all up."

"All right," Kai chuckled, "I'll take the second shift."

With that I slumped against a wall, Clover resting in the curve of my left wing. I gently folded my wing in around her, covering it from the outside world.

I closed my eyes, falling asleep to the sound of Clover, Acho, and Kai's snores.

~in the morning~

I woke up to bright sunlight in my face and Kai shaking my right shoulder roughly.

"Wake up bitches, it's moving time," they spoke in a calm, deep voice. I chuckled.

"All right, all right. We're getting up." I yawned and helped Clover up, she still seemed half asleep.

"Language, by the way," she scolded Kai tiredly but warmly.

I smiled, glad it was starting to trust Kai at least. I'd only known these people for less than a day and I already trusted Kai and Clover with my entire heart.

"I'll lead the way this time," Kai announced, turning away to the others. Kyle and Acho stretched, seeming to not have gotten a good nights sleep. I chuckled, glad that I was able to sleep through anything. My folk were just like that.

"We'll be right behind you," Acho replied cheerfully. And we were off.

~time skip~

I stepped over yet another fire trap, helping Clover and Acho over it after me. "I seriously wish these corridors were big enough to allow me to fly. It's genuinely starting to feel like we're never getting out," I sighed. "If we don't see any sign of an exit in the next few minutes, I think we should stop and I should try to find a larger corridor to fly out. I can-"

"HOLY SHIT!!" Kai yelled suddenly, making Clover and me jump.

"Look! Over there!" Kyle yelled, pointing to a gate, an exit in this seemingly endless maze. We all brightened up and ran towards it, me making sure to help Clover over any fire.

"Finally!" Acho yelled.

"Is this real?" Kai called, shocked.

"It better be!" I replied sharply.

Without warning, people started appearing at the entrance and we all came to a stop in front of them.

I stepped forward first, but Kai was the first to speak.

"Hello, my name is Kai. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"..."

A barrage of questions rushed our way, and I shielded Clover from them with my wings. Immediately the babble got louder, several people running forward to touch or pet my wings. I lashed out at them, one very narrowly avoiding losing their nose.

"Everyone back up!" A voice suddenly sounded out over all the others, basically radiating authority. The heads immediately snapped in their direction, and my multicoloured gaze landed on a rather short looking girl with pretty brown hair, brown eyes, and a green and pink outfit.