Broken Ties

I was sipping a Frappuccino at Starbucks, talking to Caitlin and Iris, the former my co-worker at S.T.A.R Labs. 

"How's life for you at home?" Iris asked, stirring her latte. 

"I'm not quite sure. I'm taking more shifts to work on the particle accelerator, so I don't really get filled in." However, at that moment, my phone rang. I looked at the number and sighed, picking it up. 

"Officer Greenwood." I frowned after I left the table. 

'He's been in a mix-up again.

"What this time?" 

'Fights. We've taken statements and seems like he's the cause of it. You're his contact.

"This isn't the first occurrence..." 

'I know. If it goes on any longer, I have to put this on his record. Ian's a good guy, and his son can be too.

"I'll be there in five, ok? To pick him up." 

'Copy that.' I cut the call, turning back to Iris and Caitlin. 

"Sorry to cut the meeting short, guys, but I have to go." 

"Again?" Caitlin exclaimed, raising her eyebrows. 

"I don't know what's up with him, but I'll find out for sure." Turning on my heel, I paid Iris back before getting in my Tesla and driving towards the Police Station with a threatening frown. Parking, I stormed in and rapped on the desk, seeing the familiar face of Gail, the receptionist. 

"You're here to pick him up?" She asked boredly, already used to this shtick. I nodded and was given a visitor's badge and was led to the detaining cell, where I saw my brother. 

"What do you have to say for yourself?" I demanded, folding my arms. 

"He deserved it." Kieran replied, not looking into my eyes. I let out a deep breath, turning away from him just in time for Officer Daniel Greenwood to arrive on the scene. 

"I have the bail papers, I just need you to sign them." I took up a pen and signed my signature on the oh-so-familiar bail forms, which allowed Greenwood to open the cell and allow him to come out with me. I got into the Tesla without a word, and so did he, just sitting there with his arms folded. 

"I'm going to ask you again. What do you have to say for yourself?" 

"He was poking fun at you. About how I had a nerdy sister. He deserved it." I let out a scream of frustration, but my eyes never left the road. 

"Do you know how hard it is for me to take care of you when Mum and Dad can't?!" I burst out, feeling like I was about to cry. "If you get detained one more time, this goes on your record. Why can't you just have some common sense, damn it!" I slammed my hand on the wheel, blinded by white fury. "From now on, I'm taking you to work with me. God knows I need to keep an eye on you." I pressed the brakes because I'd parked at my house, picking up my phone and getting out of the car. The sky was black, and reflected me. I felt empty.

"You're going to strip my freedom?!" Kieran yelled as we burst into the house. 

"I have no choice! You're too rowdy on your own! Soon enough you'll be hunted by, forget the police, the entire military force! I don't care what you want to do, Kieran Grant Hathaway, I can't trust you on your own anymore!" My mum, Rebecca, and dad, Ian, came thundering down the stairs and Mum hugged Kieran, kissing his hair and smoothing it down with whispers of 'oh, my son. I'm so glad you're safe.'. However, Dad sat down at the ottoman, looking towards Kieran with a disappointed look. 

"WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING?!" I shouted, slapping my brother across the face. 

"Ryker Zelda Hathaway!" My mum gasped as soon as my palm made contact with his face. 

"Ryker!" My dad yelled, standing up. 

"YOU ARE ONE OFFENCE AWAY FROM HAVING THIS ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD! THEN IT'S JAIL TIME! DO YOU KNOW HOW AWFUL THAT WILL BE?!" 

"N-"

"SHUT UP! THE ADULT IS TALKING HERE! I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS SHTICK YOU'VE BEEN PULLING OFF! NEXT TIME YOU GET YOURSELF IN A DANGEROUS FIASCO, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOUR SISTER WILL NOT PULL UP TO SAVE YOU!" 

"He's young, Ryker. You were a rebellious child, yourself." Becca protested, holding onto my shoulder. 

"I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF HIM! YOU'RE NOT LEAVING MY SIGHT! IN THE CAR, NOW!" I threw his jacket at him, and without a second look to my parents, ran to the car and got in, strapping myself inside. Kieran sulkily got in the other side, and I took off as quickly as I could. 

"I'm one of the main coordinators for the particle accelerator launch. Now, because of you, I'll be late." I growled, going at the max speed limit and pulling up outside the venue. Mum and Dad arrived next to us, wearing fancy clothes. 

"You forgot that we were attending too, Ryker." Ian sniffed, straightening his suit. 

"We wouldn't miss our daughter's big night." Rebecca smiled, brushing off her dress. 

"I swear, this family has the quickest costume changes ever." I groaned, pinching my eyebrows. 

"Let's go to the convention, shall we?" 

'LOCKDOWN IN PROCESS. NO ONE ENTERS THE BUILDING. EMERGENCY EVACUATION IN EFFECT.

I gasped, pulling out my S.T.A.R Labs tablet and accessing the mainframe. 

"The particle accelerator... it's unstable. You have to run. Now!" 

"And leave you?!" Ian exclaimed, looking between saving himself and his daughter, aka me. 

"All of you, go. As far away from this building as you can. Go!" 

"We can't!" Rebecca protested. 

"Mum, Dad, I love you, but this is not the time to be heroic! GO!" As soon as I said these last words, an explosion ripped through the building, heading towards everyone in sight. It blew them back, and knocked me over. I screamed from the radiation, but I gradually began to bear it, but I got major burns on my arms and back. 

When it was over, I stood up, looking around for my family. And then I saw three people lying bloodied on the floor. It was Kieran, Mum and Dad. 

"No... please no..." I bent forward to check their heartbeats, falling onto my knees. I only heard the slowest beat, so I called out for help and got my phone, trying to shakily dial an ambulance. My fingers went amok on the cold screen, my other hand keeping track of their heartbeats. And by the time I'd even gotten to fully dialling the number of the ambulance, I couldn't find a pulse. 

"NO!" I screamed, hugging Kieran. "Please... don't leave me... KIERAN!" I shouted, attracting attention and carting everyone, including me, away to S.T.A.R Labs because Caitlin had found me. As soon as I stumbled into her lab, she hugged me hard. 

"Shh." She soothed, rubbing my back. 

"I could've done something. Anything." 

"It's-" I pushed myself off of her, trying to dry my tears. 

"Don't tell me it's ok. My mum, dad, and brother died and the last thing we did together... was- was... argue. I didn't tell them how much I love them, and I'll never forgive myself for that." 

"I was going to say it's not fair on you. Ryker, you did everything you could for your family and friends and that's why I look up to you. Kieran, Ian and Rebecca know that you loved them and that'll give them peace. What'll give them more peace is that if you take your time to move on. I was told by Dr Wells that you can take however long you can to mourn, ok? I know I'd love to see you back, and so will Cisco. Alright? Just take the time you need." I hugged her again, having stopped crying.

"Thanks, Caitlin." I breathed, running a hand through my hair, knowing I sported a stunned expression. I picked up my bag and stuff and left, feeling broken and torn. I'd fractured my ties with my family when I argued with Kieran, and now I had no chance to repair them.