Breakthroughs

I heard a very shaky knock on my door, so I went over to the front and opened it to find Barry with his hands shoved into his pockets and a very scared expression and looked clammy, as far as I knew. 

"Are you... ok?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. 

"I don't know what's wrong with me." He panted, sweat rolling down one side of his face. I pulled him in and shutting the door. 

"Tell me more. Take deep breaths first, though." I sat him down while he took deep breaths, finally regaining composure. 

"Now tell me more." 

"There are moments where time is slowing down and going back to normal speed, my hands were vibrating, I mean, they are now, and I ran and went faster than humanly possible... I'm not sure what's wrong with me and it's scary. Awesome, but scary." I thought for a moment before taking my file on Barry out of my box and a clipboard with blank paper and then picking up the pencil. I jotted down the side-effects he was experiencing and then key words that could relate. Then I saw it. 

Lightning. 

Everything made sense and linked, so I wrote at the speed of light my diagnosis on a separate piece of paper. 

"You, Barry, were struck by lightning." 

"I know that much." 

"Yeah, I know. Lightning itself travels 270,000 mph. Well, that is if you count the actual speed as opposed to light speed, which is much faster. It struck you in the explosion, putting you in a coma." 

"Are we going to stop listing facts that I already know?" I looked up with a 'don't interrupt me' expression before returning to my notes, pencil flying across the paper. 

"Now you're beginning to experience supernatural phenomenons that are unexplainable... to you. There's a reason you went under a nine month coma, Barry. In that time the radiation and power transferred from the lightning was mixing and making itself compatible with your genes, which means that you can now move so fast that it's not the world slowing down, your perception of reality is so quick and easily processed that it makes everything else look slow. Now that you're awake and your bodily processes are running as normal, your mind is taking longer to comprehend the load of information it just received and therefore is sending frantic signals all over your body, explaining the vibrating hands. About your speed, at top form you should be able to reach unimaginable speeds, but at your base form I should say you clock..." I wrote down a number on a separate sheet and turned it around. "600mph." I honestly don't know how I did that. I just looked at the word lightning and everything clicked for me. 

"That's crazy." He murmured, sitting by my side and looking at all my notes. "The only thing you wrote down on the first paper was 'lightning'." 

"Seems like I did. I'll contact Dr Wells. I can't attend the test, I'm afraid, but I'll tell Caitlin to get a record." I smiled, setting the papers aside and getting up, storing them away. 

"Listen." I whipped round to face him with a questioning look, which startled him. "Would you like to go for coffee tomorrow morning? As friends." I ran the numbers quickly in my head before smiling. 

"Don't see why not. I'll see you at nine." I agreed, showing him out of the house. "It was great seeing you, Barry." 

"Great seeing you, too." When he left, I shakily let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and slid down the back of the door when it closed, combing a hand through my hair. It would've been so embarrassing if he realised that I was the one who poured out all their problems to him when he was under a nine-month coma. 

That was a really close shave.

The next day, I got ready for coffee with Barry. I put on this outfit: 

And then headed out of the house towards Jitters, where I saw Barry waiting with an expectant look

"I'm late." I chuckled with a bright smile. 

"I'm just early." He replied swiftly, inviting me to the table where there were two coffees already waiting. "I figured you'd like a caramel Frappuccino. You seem like that kind of person." 

"That kind of person I am." I grinned, raising the cup to him before sipping from the straw. "How did you know?" 

"Not former CSI for nothing." He retorted with a playful look. I cocked my head, giving him a calculating smirk, and he copied my actions. 

"Nine months after going into a coma, I'd probably thought I'd be paranoid. What did the world become, because it can change as fast as that lightning struck me. But... I dunno... as soon as I saw you, I knew I could trust you." 

"Don't you think that's a bit corny? Those lines were in the TV shows nine months ago." I joked, inducing a laugh from both of us. A song started playing, Bad Days by Levent Geiger. 

"Oh my god, this is one of my favourite songs." I grinned, looking up. 

"Is it? I pinned you to be more of a Heart Attack kind of girl." He shot back. 

"Pin me on the other side of the drawing board, please. Heart Attack isn't even close." I smirked, before looking at the time. 

"We should probably get going. We both have work to do." Barry said it before I did, realising what I was about to say. 

"Yeah. I agree." Getting up, we first went in for a hug, but then stopped and awkwardly shook hands, before exiting and going opposite directions as to not make it any more awkward. But when I got home, I forgot all about the awkwardness and using my powers, flicked my hands and made multiple books fly towards me and rest on the table, open on the right pages. 

If one is a vessel for the biological catalyst the Nexus, they must be in possession of the near god-like ability to interact with the astral plane. Their soul is half in the tangible world and the realm of the impossible, and therefore has a link with each and every soul that exists in both worlds and are able to control them and send them into that realm with one touch. Once their full potential is achieved, they may be able to revive deceased souls. 

I dropped my book at that moment. I'm linked to each and every soul in the world? 

That's overpowered. 

Even so, I ran to the lab as fast as I could, opening the cabinet and looking at the suit. I was reflected into the suit, and it really did suit me. I put my hand on the logo, which was the mark that appeared over my eyes, and it pieced itself onto me. I turned around and looked at myself in the mirror, and I looked completely unrecognisable.

It felt strange.

It felt good.