2

Getting up the next day was the hard part for Malcolm. Reese practically had to drag him out of bed by his ear. REESE!! Malcolm is normally the one to do that to him.

Breakfast was quiet, much like the rest of dinner last night. Although afterwards, Lois cleared her throat.

"So... I don't have much information on this little competition, ask the principal about it and try to get a sheet that says where you'll be at certain times or when you will be coming back or something. Don't want you coming home and seeing something that'll make you bleach your eyes."

Malcolm doesn't say anything. He just grabs his backpack and walks out of the door, leaving his brothers behind. He goes straight to school. Throughout the day he has classes with Mr. Herkabe, that one fact has him wanting to skip the whole school day in the first place. The only thing keeping him from doing so is that he wants to hang out with the Krelboynes. 

After thinking a lot before bed last night, he realized that there were only a few people that could have signed him up for the Academic Octathlon. Him and maybe the other Krelboynes. He plans on finding out everything he needs to about it today.

He gets there early so he sits at one of the tables outside.

"Ahh Malcolm there you are!!"

Oh god.

Malcolm knows that voice anywhere, he looks up and sees Mr.Herkabe with a shit eating smile on his face.

"There's my favorite student. How are you today? Did you get the news?"

"I'm not good, what do you want?"

"Oh well I just wanted to tell you about the exciting news?"

"What news?" Malcolm asks hoping he didn't already know what it was.

"You and the other Krelboynes get to go compete in the Academic Octathlon!!"

Malcolm groans and puts his head on the table.

"Come on be excited!! We will be leaving tomorrow morning, we'll be gone for a few days at least!"

Malcolm looks up, about to say something but gets interrupted by a voice behind them.

"Malcolm!" Oh thank god for Dabney.

"Your parents already agreed for you to go. I will see you soon for class."

Dabney gets over to Malcolm and plops down by him.

"What's wrong?"

"Did you know about the Academic Octathlon?"

"Yeah! My mom told me last night, said she was okay with it after I explained what it is, as long as I get in the top 100."

"What about the other Krelboynes?"

"I don't know, I know Kevin got a yes, I didn't have a chance to talk to anyone else before my mom told me to go to bed."

Once all the Krelboynes got there, Malcolm found out that they all found out about it last night and all their parents said they could go. After realizing it, Malcolm stopped talking to everyone, just nodding here and there. In fact, He's been trying to stay away from all of the Krelboynes. At lunch, he sat by himself on the side of the school. After a while he hears footsteps.

"Malcolm what's wrong?"

"Nothing LLoyd, I'm fine."

"You haven't talked most of the day and now you're lying, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Lloyd sighs and sits by Malcolm.

"I am not leaving you alone until you say what's wrong."