Chapter 3- One Answer, Many More Questions

It felt heavy in the Death building. That was the best way I could describe it. Hayden looked tense, and I swear Azalea's skin paled. We had some large hurdles for us to cross if we were going to survive this class for an entire year.

Mr. Ahimoth's class was the only one where we decided to sit clear in the back. The last thing any of us needed was unwanted attention from our teacher at the front. Despite Azalea looking ready to flee the room at a moment's notice, she and Hayden talked softly. I sat back and listened.

A tap on my shoulder caused me to turn my head. "Is this desk taken?" someone beside me asked. I looked up to see a man standing over me. My eyes instantly went to his. They were extremely blue. It contrasted a lot with his black hair.

"No. Go ahead," I replied. My voice came out way stiffer than I intended.

As he sat down, he glanced at my friends who had stopped their conversation. With a slightly raised eyebrow, he asked, "Are you alright? You all seem nervous."

Wow. How observate. Azalea was ready to flee the room or pass out. Hayden was as taut as a bowstring. I sounded like I had learned about human emotions only five minutes ago. I rushed out, "I'm fine."

He laughed. "There is nothing to worry about. This class is going to be fun."

I whipped my head to face him, glaring. "Oh really?" I questioned.

"You sound like you do not want to be here?"

I stared at him for a second before admitting, "This is probably the last place I want to be."

With a sly smile, "Do not worry. I will make this class enjoyable for all of us." He extended his hand. "Alexander."

I took it and replied, "Seraphina and my friends, Azalea and Hayden."

Before Alexander got to reply, Mr. Ahimoth started class, and our lips were sealed. Even Alexander seemed to not dare speak over Mr. Ahimoth. Hayden and Azalea only gave me a quick glance before turning their full attention to the front.

By the time class had finished, several muscle groups were sore from how tense I had been. As soon as we were released, Azalea, Hayden, and I bolted. I think Azalea took her first full breath in an hour once we were outside.

"I have to head to Water. I will see you tomorrow," Azalea said before she darted off.

"Want to meet up after class?" I asked Hayden. She agreed and picked a meeting spot. We said our goodbyes and I headed to Life.

As I approached Mrs. Alinsky's classroom, I heard my name. I turned to find Alexander following me inside.

"Looks like we have Life together as well," he said. I gave him a tight smile. Better than being completely alone I decided. I hadn't formed an opinion on him yet.

The room was mostly full when we entered. Alexander scanned the room. His face suddenly lit up.

"Garnet," he exclaimed, bolting towards the edge of the classroom. At the end of one of the rows, a girl's head popped up and turned towards Alexander.

Alexander sat down at the desk next to her and said, "It is good to have another class together."

"Likewise," she said, glancing my way as I sat on the other side of Alexander.

"This is Seraphina. I met her in my previous class," Alexander introduced. "Seraphina, this is Garnet. We have Storm together." I was starting to notice that Alexander spoke in a similar cadance to Azalea. He sounded even more articulate than Azalea. It made me wonder what his background was.