Chapter Twenty Seven: The Hunt

Word Count: 3,810

      "Alex, wake up," Amber said for the sixth time. Groggily, Alex waved a hand at her. He had been up all night, dizzy from the motion of the boat. He just wanted more sleep, but Amber seemed persistent to get him up. Luckily, she seemed to have quieted. Happily, Alex wiggled further under the blankets.

     Something smacked the back of his head.

     "Ow," he muttered, sitting up and finally opening his eyes. Amber was moving her mouth like she was talking, but not saying anything.

     "¿Qué estás diciendo?" He asked groggily, rubbing the back of his head.

     What are you saying?

     Amber looked deeply offended, like she might smack him again. Her mouth moved faster. No noise came out. Curious, Alex held his hand out to her again, intending to hear her. Immediately, he regretted it.

     "-pendejo! And you wanna ask me ¿Qué estás dicie-? What does it sound like I'm saying? Did you go deaf overnight?" Amber finished.

     -stupid!

     +100 EXP

     "Sorry! I'm sorry," Alex blinked hard, rubbing his eyes, "I actually couldn't hear you. I think I bent sound on accident."

     Amber folded her arms, "You mean to tell me you've gotten so good at using your air powers that you can manipulate sound to go some other direction?"

     "I think so?" Alex blinked more, "I don't know, man, I just woke up."

     "Yeah, whatever. Get your butt out of bed, breakfast is served. Jamie is making everyone omelets," Amber said after a brief pause. She looked Alex up and down with a flat expression and then left.

     Outside the mess hall, Elijah was pacing back and forth by the door, shaking his hands vigorously.

     "Hey, hey, what happened? D' you need help?" Alex asked, walking a little faster to get to him sooner.

     "No," Elijah replied shortly.

     "Do you wanna tell me what happened? You don't have to, but you can," Alex offered.

     "Too many people, too much noise, and I can't feel the- it sounds like static," Elijah shook his head.

     "What sounds like static?" Alex asked calmly.

     "When I can hear the ground, now I hear the ocean but I don't have water powers and it sounds like static. Well, I can't literally hear it, but it just- I can-" Elijah struggled to put the feeling into words.

     "It's okay. I think I know what you mean. Are you hungry?" Alejandro continued. Elijah paused, stopped walking, and nodded.

     "Okay. Do you want me to bring you out a plate so you can eat out here?" Alejandro asked. Elijah nodded again.

     "Cool," Alex nodded back, stepping closer to the door. Elijah grabbed his wrist. Alex turned back to him. They locked eyes, and then Elijah looked away, but didn't let go. Alex nodded in understanding.

     "You're welcome," he smiled. Elijah nodded and let go. Alex walked into the mess hall.

     They ate their breakfasts together in silence out on the deck.

     As they approached land again, everyone came out on the deck to say their goodbyes. Every member of the crew shook everyone's hands, some were giving hugs, and they all seemed genuinely sad to see them go.